VM for game streaming/nvidia shield

isvein

Yes, but I'm not using the nvidia shield/experience in particular. I have my VMs setup to use Steam's in-home streaming to remotely access them with my 10 year old laptops. I use this for gaming and just everything in general, so my old laptops are essentially thin clients now, lol. Since I regularly use the HDMI ports on the unRAID server to watch TV, movies, etc, I use an AHK script MasterMind made that auto changes resolutions to match the remote pc's display, and then revert it back to native when you close the application. It's posted over on the Steam forums found here...

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/490125103637825153/

Since I do everything on the VMs from the laptop, I also use Input Director http://www.inputdirector.com/ to pass the Keyboard and Mouse when everything is on the TV. Sometimes the inputs can be a bit wonky over the stream, and I'll use Input Director to force control (ie-scroll my mouse off the laptop screen and onto the TV.) The frames, sound, input lag are visually identical to what I see on the TV, and WAY better than anything else I've tried. The resource footprint is super small. Best of all, it just works, no mouse spazzing either.

Hi I stream my VM to my tablet and my nvidea shield TV. I use moonlight on both tablet as it works better than than nvidea own software for some reason! Gaming works perfectly. I have also used moonlight to stream games to my macbook pro.

Using moonlight you can stream of only games but the whole desktop if you setup a game reference in nvidea experience software to C:\windows\system32\mstsc.exe

I also use splashtop desktop to connect to VMs as it will stream video and games over the Internet, however I don't use for games as controls for gaming don't quite work right with splashtop

Archived