Marvell 88SE9230 not working

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, fluisterben said:

But why would anyone want to disable virtualization for the drives? This means they will not work in a VM, right?

It's not just the drives, it disables passthrough for the whole machine. The reason they would want to do that is that they are not depending on hardware passthrough and they don't want to spend the money to replace the controller.

Not everyone has an unlimited tech budget, we make do with what we can.

50 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

It's not just the drives, it disables passthrough for the whole machine. The reason they would want to do that is that they are not depending on hardware passthrough and they don't want to spend the money to replace the controller.

Not everyone has an unlimited tech budget, we make do with what we can.

I asked because I have one of those controllers, a Delock Hybrid 4 x intern SATA 6 Gb/s card with the Chipset Marvell 88SE9230, not because I want to replace it with an even more expensive one. I thought this one was expensive enough.

I need the virtualization in unraid, and I'm just very surprised people settle for switching it off for this bug. It shows all drives in BIOS, in other OSs, yet I don't see it with the slackware of unraid. I tried patching the firmware, to no avail, I tried patching syslinux.cfg, to no avail. I've searched for days all over the internet, it's not solved by anything I found thus far.

This is really seriously bad, if I may say so.

The reason I say this is because when it works OK elsewhere, we're not inclined to expect it will simply fail in unraid, and thus we've not returned the card(s) in time for a refund. This beckons a hardware compatibility fail list that should be in unraid's wiki.

Edited by fluisterben
On 7/5/2019 at 8:40 PM, johnnie.black said:

No, depends on the kernel.

I've just checked, because I already decided to move the card out of the unraid server, and indeed, it does work for that debian, but only since it has all virtualization disabled. Wasn't even aware of that (it needs to be switched on!).