USB Cache..I know, I know

JMO

You can do it, I've done it in the past, you can just mount the drive as cache manually, but it was horribly slow (USB 2.0 2.5" drive).

Maybe if unRAID supported USB 3.0 (does it support USB 3.0 yet?) then it might be worth a try with a fast flash drive.

So I came across an old post stating that is it is possible to make a USB drive act as a cache in Unraid. Is anybody able to elaborate on that? I am super keen to make it happen.

I have no idea how to "mount a cache manually".

Thanks.

Why? Your best bet is to use SSD cache, unless you have no sata or estata ports available?

I thought it wasnt advised due the number of read and writes would pretty much kill it but I may be wrong.

No sata ports free, but I have two internal USB 3 connections available.

Read write to an SSD cache is not even worth thinking about.

I'm on a mini-itx platform and would prefer to use my lone PCIe expansion slot for a GPU.

Starting with v6.2-beta you can use a USB2/3 device as cache disk, so you can use any external HDD or SSD, would not recommend using a flash drive because of the already mentioned endurance issue.

Ahh, I understand

I thought it wasnt advised due the number of read and writes would pretty much kill it but I may be wrong.

now.

No, not a flash drive, a SSD connected via USB 3 (https://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/USB-3-SATA-adapter-cable-with-UASP~USB3S2SAT3CB)

That is some fantastic news. Looking forward to 6.2 coming off beta :)

Archived