Identifying disks.

Only if you have a hotswap bay is there even an LED for the disk.

Beyond that, no not really.  Nothing beats a label maker on the hotswap caddies or on the rear of the disks.

Alternatively, you can also use the server layout plugin so the you can diagram where the drives are (for all I know it might even support flashing of the caddies LED)

• Like 1

I've requested a feature to be added to unRAID (received no love from any other members) that would allow us to give each drive a location such as Row 3 Disk 2 or whatever. Plenty of real estate to do this, no idea why it wasn't baked into unRAID years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No, that's a plugin for doing a server layout. I'm referring to having the GUI show the disks physical location on the main tab where it lists the model # and serial #.

I confess I'm confused (hope I'm not the only one!).  You don't want the server layout plugin, but you want the GUI to provide a server layout?  As I'm sure you know, there's NO WAY software can determine the physical location of any drives, so you have to have a server layout tool to allow the user to specify the physical locations.  In v6, it's the server layout plugin, in v5 it was the MyMain tool of UnMENU, both with tools to specify the physical locations and relationships between the drives, and to display that in a visual form.

I've requested a feature to be added to unRAID (received no love from any other members) that would allow us to give each drive a location such as Row 3 Disk 2 or whatever. Plenty of real estate to do this, no idea why it wasn't baked into unRAID years ago.

Respectfully, that doesn't seem quite fair.  As you said, it hasn't been requested much, and the feature already existed through user addons in both v5 and v6.  It's a small company, if they had spent time on this feature, they would not have had time to develop some other feature that's now included.