Disable Cache for specific VM ?

Hi all,

Just set up my first Unraid server for NAS and VMs. Most of the little quirks I have had have been sorted but I'm having an issue with the 80gb cache SSD I have (I know it's small but I had it laying around).

I problem is - one of my VM's is for my security camera system and to keep the data from blowing out too much I have created and attached a 500gb virtual disk to the VM running the software. However, no matter where I look I can't find a way to stop the cache from being used for this array. Because so much data is written to this VM, it fills super quick and takes my VMs offline.

I tried telling the share not to use it but that didn't seem to help.

Any thoughts on the best way to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi RobJ,

It wasn't that I didn't read it. It was more that I asked if you can stop the cache being used for a specific VM - no diagnostics required.

Thanks

If you want help, it might be good to supply what is asked for. If we get the diagnostics it's easier for us to see what your configuration is without asking too many questions.

Where did you create the vdisk for storing the data and are you sure use cache is set to no on that share?

Does the software save files temporarily on the system disk since your cache fills up?

Just put the 500gig vdisk on a share that doesnt have cache enabled. I guess as you have your vm domain directory on cache you only have 80 gig there.

On the primary disk location in the vm gui, change from auto to manual. Then set the vdisk location to be on a non cache share.

However i would not use cameras on the main array like this because you are going to be writing alot of data. So as array has parity it is writing to the parity drive aswell all the time. I personally wouldnt want to have this constant wear on my array.

If i were you i would write to an unassigned drive outside the array ,that you dont care about too much and let that have the wear.