adding a 2nd vdisk to existing vm

bearcat2004

Hi all, I've been using unRAID for a few months, and I have several W10 vms working with virtIO drivers and gpu passthru, no problems there.

I am interested in adding a second vdisk to an existing vm, but when the 2nd vdisk is created and enabled in the Edit pane, and the vm is subsequently spun up, the USB devices are disabled, and while the BIOS splashes on the monitor and the lock screen appears, but the vm doesn't respond to the keyboard and mouse inputs. I've narrowed it down to the 2nd vdisk, because as I disable and delete the 2nd vdisk, the vm boots and runs normally.

Separately, since it wasn't / isn't much trouble, I spun up a new w10 vm with 2 vdisks, and during the install formatted the vdisks -- this was a non-issue as far as performance was concerned.

The ultimate goal: having a vdisk with several Steam games installed so I won't have to re-download these games every time i spin up a new vm. Anyone else have these problems or encounter any solution here?

The ultimate goal: having a vdisk with several Steam games installed so I won't have to re-download these games every time i spin up a new vm.

I don't know how to fix the problem with the 2nd vdisk but for steam games you can just use a mounted network share.

Don't forget to enable "linked connections" or applications with elevated permissions wont be able to see the mounted network share.

In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Right-click Configuration, click New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.

Name the new registry entry as EnableLinkedConnections.

Double-click the EnableLinkedConnections registry entry.

In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type 1 in the Value data field, and then click OK.

Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

If you want to use the network share for Origin games you have to install the Origin client on the network share as well (Steam and Uplay can be installed on the OS disk even when their game libraries are on a mounted network share).

sounds like your VM is trying to boot form the new Vdisk. post your XML, or try adding this into vdisk code you want to boot from:

<boot order='1'/>

so it'll look like:

<disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source dev='/dev/sdf'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='virtio-disk2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>

Archived