VM Creation Error: unable to set user and group to '0:100'

Hello,

Trying to create a VM in unRAID, with an ISO file mounted via Unassigned CFIS share.  The unRAID server has the ISO directory connected and mount via Unassigned Devices, but when I am in the VM interface creating the VM I receive this error:

"unable to set user and group to '0:100' on 'mnt/disks/iso/Windows 7 Home Premium.iso': Permission denied"

Not sure if this is a permission problem with unRAID or the FreeNAS share.  Any help would be appreciated.

Current config:

unRAID server: will be used for VM's and Gaming passthrough

FreeNAS server: holds my ISO files and runs PLEX

Added the / in front of mnt and still receiving the error:

ZQ9sli8.jpg

Tried the doubled and single both errored:

zjsbaCx.jpg

LZ0wzp2.jpg

What group and user is the VM plug in trying to access?  Do we know if we need to add a group or user to the hosting server to access the share?

Does the same error occour if you choose an ISO without space in the name?

I have never seen this error before and don't understand why it wants to change the permissions.

It does, and I have renamed the ISO image to a shorter name as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the same error occour if you copy the ISO to the unraid server?

Do you mean, like I suggested way back in Reply #3? ;)

No...  ::)

We are trying to make a share from another server function so that I do not have to pull the large ISO files from one server to another  :)

You don't need to keep the installation media there permanently. I just thought that as a means of getting the job done quickly it was a valid suggestion. I admire your stubborn refusal to give in but sometimes you just have to take the pragmatic approach. I thought your question was about creating a VM but I see that it's actually about importing an installation ISO from across the network, so I wish you good luck.

If it helps, UID 0 is root and GID 100 is users. Why is the VM creator trying to chown your ISO? What happens if you do the job for it with

chgrp users /path/to/iso

We are trying to make a share from another server function so that I do not have to pull the large ISO files from one server to another  :)

When you connect to the remote share in unassigned devices you do fill in the username and password field and the user you use have the correct permissions to access the files in that share?

When you connect to the remote share in unassigned devices you do fill in the username and password field and the user you use have the correct permissions to access the files in that share?

I do, in fact I can access and modify those files with any device on the network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this only happens on the share on your ISO server you have a problem with the permissions. I have tested here and I'm not able to recreate your error.

You could try to change the permissions as John_M suggested (Which you seem to keep ignoring) or contact Lime tech directly to get it resolved.

You don't need to keep the installation media there permanently. I just thought that as a means of getting the job done quickly it was a valid suggestion. I admire your stubborn refusal to give in but sometimes you just have to take the pragmatic approach. I thought your question was about creating a VM but I see that it's actually about importing an installation ISO from across the network, so I wish you good luck.

If it helps, UID 0 is root and GID 100 is users. Why is the VM creator trying to chown your ISO? What happens if you do the job for it with

chgrp users /path/to/iso

Thanks for the suggestion, but still can not access the share.  Browsing to the unRAID server from a windows machine, the ISO share is shown but not accessible.  Used both the user names for both the servers and no access is obtained.  Might be time to call in some support  :-\

If this only happens on the share on your ISO server you have a problem with the permissions. I have tested here and I'm not able to recreate your error.

You could try to change the permissions as John_M suggested (Which you seem to keep ignoring) or contact Lime tech directly to get it resolved.

Thanks for your help saarg, but your right might be time to contract support

Thanks for your help saarg, but your right might be time to contract support

How have you configured the ISO share on the freenas server?

Got it to work, but not able to browse the share.

I noticed on my FreeNAS server an error when unRAID is trying to mount the share. Looks like Unassigned devices is trying to mount a new share its adding the network to the command line.  Which show on the FreeNAS console and in the logs for unassigned devices

FreeNAS Error:

WtJGnje.jpg

Unassigned Error:

skNEASK.jpg

Testing to see if i can manually add the share SSH into the unRAID server and entered the following:

mount -t nfs -o defaults '10.10.10.9://mnt/TANK1/Data/ISO' '/mnt/disks/FreeNasISO'

Which now gave me access to the share on the FreeNAS machine.

OlQjQGS.jpg

but...

I can not browse the share, nor can i see the mounting on the webGUI for unRAID

eWiKNn6.jpg

So I am half way there with the issue.  Might be time for support now