Issue's with ESXi 6.0 and Unraid 6.2rc5

cjm187

Got some brand new hardware, except my unraid config is the same.

Reinstalled unraid 6.2rc5 alone on the new server hardware, everything worked great(had to rebuild parity drive tho which took 18 hours)

Installed Esxi 6 update 2, created a VM with pass-through of my raid controller with plop as the iso.

Plop autoboots unraid and loads unraid, but I cannot manage it at all.  I tried making a Windows VM and tried to manage it via the ip of unraid there, and I still could not.

Am I doing anything wrong?  Can someone possibly point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Got some brand new hardware, except my unraid config is the same.

Reinstalled unraid 6.2rc5 alone on the new server hardware, everything worked great(had to rebuild parity drive tho which took 18 hours)

Installed Esxi 6 update 2, created a VM with pass-through of my raid controller with plop as the iso.

Plop autoboots unraid and loads unraid, but I cannot manage it at all.  I tried making a Windows VM and tried to manage it via the ip of unraid there, and I still could not.

Am I doing anything wrong?  Can someone possibly point me in the right direction?

Thanks

if you open console from vSphere Client for unRAID VM, can you login to unRAID? 

then you can run diagnostics from console and post it here - may be then someone with better knowledge can look at it.

Is plop still the best way to go?

I will post all the info you asked for when i get home from work.

Thanks

Personally, I don't think so.  I use a 200MB VMDK.  It boots insanely fast, and only reads the config from the flash drive. The only "gotcha" is you have to copy the updated unraid files over to the VMDK when you upgrade.  Unassigned Devices makes this VERY easy!

Thanks

Personally, I don't think so.  I use a 200MB VMDK.  It boots insanely fast, and only reads the config from the flash drive. The only "gotcha" is you have to copy the updated unraid files over to the VMDK when you upgrade.  Unassigned Devices makes this VERY easy!

How exactly does this work?  Do you still need to have the usb drive in?

Thanks

@Steven FYI, latest plopKexec boots automatically too - it just selects first available boot option.. and works very fast too..

@cjm187 about boot from vmdk - read there for example: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26639.0 - there are lot of pre-built images too.. but you can always build it yourself..