Dockers and directory structure of downloads

AndrewT

I'm curious what some of you are doing once your Dockers have downloaded and scraped the files to get them onto your array. Do you have special permissions setup on a couple Dockers so this is done automatically or do you occasionally ssh as user 'nobody' and group 'users' onto your server to manually move the files from their sandboxed areas to the array?

I'm just starting to setup Dockers for SickRage, CouchPotato, Headphones, Transmission, and SABnzbd. From my understanding, the value is to have these apps sandboxed so if something goes awry that they don't disrupt the important system configs and array, but as a consequence none will be able to move completed and scraped files onto the array, is that correct?

Here was my former structure in unRAID 5 with plugins (excluding the red):

/mnt/cache/.apps/

??? couchpotato

??? headphones

??? sabnzbd

??? sickbeard

??? transmission

/mnt/cache/.incompletedownloads/

<dumping place for all sab and transmission downloads>

/mnt/cache/CompletedDownloads/

??? Processed

?   ??? ebooks

?   ??? movies

?   ??? music

?   ??? tv

??? Unprocessed

??? ebooks

??? gamez

??? movies

??? music

??? tv

I didn't have the red directories before because once the files were properly scraped, they'd be added right onto their respective shares, such as /mnt/user/movies /mnt/user/tv /mnt/user/music , etc. I'd prefer not to have the red directories, so what are your thoughts?

You would pass through an additional volume of something like (using CP as an example),

/Movies mapped to /mnt/user/Movies

You then tell CP to move the files to /Movies.  Now they're available on the array.  Also tell all the various apps to set permissions of 0777 on the files within their settings, so you don't need to log in and issue chmods all the time

My thoughts are you're overthinking things, and breaking the reason for these programs existence.  The idea is that they DO arrange and automatically write files to the array.

I've been using programs like these for close to 10 years, and never has anything "gone awry". 

I'm not sure what you're talking about in regard users and permissions, I've never had to set any such thing.

You would pass through an additional volume of something like (using CP as an example),

You then tell CP to move the files to /Movies.  Now they're available on the array.  Also tell all the various apps to set permissions of 0777 on the files within their settings, so you don't need to log in and issue chmods all the time

I didn't know you can create specific paths within a Docker symlinked to the array with a specified permission (Read only, RW, etc). So you're saying I'd have couchpotato move files from CompletedDownloads/Unprocessed/movies onto a new path that could be linked directly to the array? Something like this:

Update Container -> + Add another Path, Port or Variable

(Add Configuration window)

Config Type: Path

Name: symlink-to-Movies-array

Container Path: /scraped-Movies

Host Path: /mnt/user/Movies

Access Mode: Read/Write

I didn't know you can create specific paths within a Docker symlinked to the array with a specified permission (Read only, RW, etc). So you're saying I'd have couchpotato move files from CompletedDownloads/Unprocessed/movies onto a new path that could be linked directly to the array? Something like this:

Update Container -> + Add another Path, Port or Variable

(Add Configuration window)

Config Type: Path

Name: symlink-to-Movies-array

Container Path: /scraped-Movies

Host Path: /mnt/user/Movies

Access Mode: Read/Write

Basic jist correct, but you're going to want to check out this FAQ entry on how to do it right http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40937.msg488507#msg488507