Fastest way to transfer data to my array?

ghart999

I have about 2TB on my backup NAS (Buffalo NAS) that I now need to move to my Unraid Array. What's the quickest way to do this?

Just use Teracopy from a PC that has the shares mounted? Or is there more of a direct way that doesn't require the slow data transfers of a connected PC?

I have a cache disk which is only 240GB, so that seems useless in this case. Am I better off just spinning down the cache drive during the transfer?

Also how long would you estimate 2TB would take over a wired Gigabtye connection?

Thanks all.

No experience with that NAS but likely you can rsync between it and your unRAID and leave the PC out of it.

If the cache drive is assigned, and you are writing to any cached user shares, then it won't matter if it is spun down or not since it will just spin up when unRAID tries to write to the cached user shares.

If you don't want a user share cached during the transfer then you should set it to Use cache disk: No. You can change it back later.

If writing to disks in the parity array, then you are going to be bound by disk I/O rather than network speed. You might turn on turbo write to speed this up.

Archived