Restoring a W10 VM from vdisk1.img

Hey

I just reinstalled my unraid and I wonder if I can restore a previous working Windows 10 Virtual Machine?

I have backed up the "vdisk1.img" file before I reinstalled unraid. Can I use that to recover my W10 VM I had running before on 6.1.9?

Permissions on vdisk1.img was 655, but I believe it can be 755 without worries too right?

Running on unraid 6.2.1.

Sincerely, TrueType

You saved the vdisk but not the XML?

If you recreate the XML using the same settings it should boot -- basically you can't have switched from SeaBIOS to OVMF although I think you can do with a different machine although I'm not certain of that.

You will likely have an issue with activation because even if you create the exact same setting you won't have the same uuid number so you'll have to activate Windows again.

If you recreate the XML using the same settings it should boot -- basically you can't have switched from SeaBIOS to OVMF although I think you can do with a different machine although I'm not certain of that.

You will likely have an issue with activation because even if you create the exact same setting you won't have the same uuid number so you'll have to activate Windows again.

This is all true, to elaborate.

If you change the machine type or the UUID, you will be prompted to reactivate.

Changing the machine type/chipset will not normally cause a boot related issue, you will see driver installation upon boot for the new devices.

However in no straight forward way can you boot an OVMF image with a SeaBIOS XML or vice versa.

Now why are you playing with the vdisk permissions?

No comment on that, just don't know why/what you did to make changes to that.

If this was OVMF, at first boot you sometimes have to select the boot device, it will remember this setting afterwards.

If SeaBIOS, I would point to the XML not properly having the boot order setting correct/priority for the Vdisk.

THANKS for all your replies so far!

Try dropping your CPU count in case when the system was turned off it was installing a page update.

Don't quite understand what you mean.

I made a complete backup of my whole "/mnt" + USB ("/boot"). So if the XML is saved there, then I got that saved too. Haven't found it looking quickly though... Do you know where in that case?

My Windows 10 was never activated before so no worries about that. :)

This is all true, to elaborate.

If you change the machine type or the UUID, you will be prompted to reactivate.

Changing the machine type/chipset will not normally cause a boot related issue, you will see driver installation upon boot for the new devices.

However in no straight forward way can you boot an OVMF image with a SeaBIOS XML or vice versa.

Now why are you playing with the vdisk permissions?

No comment on that, just don't know why/what you did to make changes to that.

If this was OVMF, at first boot you sometimes have to select the boot device, it will remember this setting afterwards.

If SeaBIOS, I would point to the XML not properly having the boot order setting correct/priority for the Vdisk.

When I booted in Windows ISO and went to repair by keeping all files Windows replied that it cannot reach the disk due to it's locked. So I tried to change permissions, but no success.

I can try out SeaBIOS, don't know the difference though.