Can only run Win 10 VM on 1 thread (out of 8)

Ruckus42

I had a lot of trouble getting my Win 10 VM installed. Click here if you want to see the discussion thread on setting it up: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=52613.0

In the end, aside from changing to seabios, it turned out I had to drop the VM down to a single thread to stop it from crashing during install. I was hoping I could bring it back up to 6 threads after install, but no, still crashing after I reach the desktop. So I can only use 1/8 of my CPU for what is supposed to be my HTPC VM. Obviously, this ain't gonna cut it. It would be a waste of my i7 4770 to leave it like this. So I'm hoping there's a solution.

Thanks in advance :)

- Ruckus42

No? Nothing? I've got 15 days left on my trial. I'm sorry to play this card, but if I can't get this working, I'm not buying unRAID. I'm also a system builder, and I want to focus on HTPC NAS combo systems. I really want to sell unRAID to my clients for that purpose, but only if I can have confidence in it.

If nobody replies, it's generally because nobody knows.

And because this is a community support forum, the card you played as you put it, doesn't really have any effect as we don't have any commercial interest in Unraid.

LT do a paid support session which might be useful.

On the whole though, it's incredibly difficult to diagnose anything without xml, logs and any other relevant information.  I'm not really a VM guy, but perhaps that would help others who happen upon your thread.

And it's only been a fairly short while since you started the thread, so who knows what might happen in a day or two.  As the community is split across timezones accross the world a lot of people will have been in bed for a large proportion of that time. ;)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

No? Nothing? I've got 15 days left on my trial. I'm sorry to play this card, but if I can't get this working, I'm not buying unRAID. I'm also a system builder, and I want to focus on HTPC NAS combo systems. I really want to sell unRAID to my clients for that purpose, but only if I can have confidence in it.

Hi Ruckus42. I have read through your posts. So your pc is a dell 9020.  This has AMD Radeon HD 8570 / Intel HD Graphics 4600  graphics, yes?

Please make sure that the primary display in the bios is set for the hd4600 and not the hd8570.

Please post your pci devices and your iommu groups (from tools system devices) as it is important your devices you want to passthrough are in their own iommu group.

It would also be useful to have your vm xml code posted so we can see that as well.

I had a dell server that i had problems with myself about a year ago, but did get working in the end. I know your trial is running out (this can be renewed) so please be patient. Remember we are here trying to help people on these forums as users. I totally understand your frustration not being able to get this working but wether you decide to buy unRAID or not, will not make us here be able to assist you any better! ;)

edit........ I hadn't read CHBMB's reply as i typed mine, so i apologise if it repeats alot what he  says . As well as paid sessions from Limetech, have you tried emailing (free) them for help as well. They are very helpful and reply swiftly.

Also which version of win 10 are you installing is it the anniversary edition?

Archived