Switching to GUI boot, VM issues

gtroyp

I want to switch to the GUI boot mode, mostly because I switch back and forth between VM's.

But, booting into GUI mode breaks all my VM's (passthrough GPU's). What settings do I need to duplicate from normal boot to the GUI boot, that is, what isn't transferring over (go scripts, changes to conf files etc.), and where do I put the new settings?

Thanks

You need to copy the parts you added to the syslinux config file for the normal boot to the GUI boot.

That means everything between append and initrd=.

If the GPU you pass through is the only one, you will need to stubb it to avoid graphics errors that some users have experienced. Do you have a dedicated GPU for unraid?

You need to copy the parts you added to the syslinux config file for the normal boot to the GUI boot.

If the GPU you pass through is the only one, you will need to stubb it to avoid graphics errors that some users have experienced. Do you have a dedicated GPU for unraid?

I can do that.

My plan was to use the iGPU for the console and the RX480 for the VM (using i440fx-2.5 and OVMF). I have a separate old R5 I could use for the console if I can't use the integrated graphics for the console.

Other question: I only have one mouse and keyboard hooked up right now, and they are pinned to the VM's so I would expect to lose them for the console (not a problem functionally speaking) but I can unpin and use the hotplug add-on if I need to. Do I?

I can do that.

My plan was to use the iGPU for the console and the RX480 for the VM (using i440fx-2.5 and OVMF). I have a separate old R5 I could use for the console if I can't use the integrated graphics for the console.

Other question: I only have one mouse and keyboard hooked up right now, and they are pinned to the VM's so I would expect to lose them for the console (not a problem functionally speaking) but I can unpin and use the hotplug add-on if I need to. Do I?

You should be able to use the iGPU for unraid as long as you set it as the primary adapter in the bios.

You will need to use the hotplug plugin if you want to release the devices back to unraid. I haven't tried it myself, but from what I hear it should work.

For searchers down the road...

Once I copied the append commands, everything works super great.

I have a second monitor hooked up to the iGPU (or IGD) and my VM's use the main monitor hooked up to my RX480. I have the mouse and keyboard pinned to the VM's so once they fire up, the console is a display only (good for watching temps though). When the VM shuts down, mouse and keyboard go back to console without issue.  I haven't tested this setup with the hotplug add-in, but it worked great for me when I was running to VM's at the same time, so I have no reason to think it wouldn't in this setup if I wanted it.

Now, back to Civ VI....