New Build Recomendation and Basic Questons

Hey Guys,

I am new to unRaid and I'm about to build a server. I know that you can't tell me 100% if everything is going to work right with a given hardware list, but possibly you could let me know if anything stands out?

Here is the hardware I picked out:

• ASRock E3C236D2I
  • Xeon E3-1230 v5
  • Dynatron K199 80mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler for Intel LGA Socket 1151
  • WD 4 TB Red (x4)
  • 16 Gb Flashdrive for OS
  • Crucial 16GB DDR4 2133
  • iStarUSA 2 x 5.25" to 3 x 3.5"SAS/SATA 6 Gb/s Trayless Hot-Swap Cage (Black)
  • iStarUSA D-214-MATX 2U Compact Rackmount microATX Chassis
  • unRAID Plus

I also am interested in backing up a few shares to CrashPlan. I see a few posts about it being possible. How difficult is this?

Thanks for your time,

DeltaBravo

I can't comment about the hardware, but I set up a home server for a friend to backup to crash plan recently.

The current version of the crash plan docker is very simple to use, just set up the docker along with mapping the shares you want to back up, then set up crash plan via the web ui to back up those shares.

Overall I think it took maybe less than 15 minutes to set up.

Now his server is fairly small (1 TB) so if you are planning on backing up a huge amount of data I can't really comment on the time it will take, but it's very quick to test with the crash plan docker from community apps.

I can't comment about the hardware, but I set up a home server for a friend to backup to crash plan recently.

The current version of the crash plan docker is very simple to use, just set up the docker along with mapping the shares you want to back up, then set up crash plan via the web ui to back up those shares.

Overall I think it took maybe less than 15 minutes to set up.

Now his server is fairly small (1 TB) so if you are planning on backing up a huge amount of data I can't really comment on the time it will take, but it's very quick to test with the crash plan docker from community apps.

Awesome, I wont be backing up a huge amount of data. I am going to have one share that is going to have very important data that will be backed up with crashplan. It wont be that big of a share. Thank you!

Lack of integrated graphics sticks out to me. But I'm not sure if it's required.

From what I see that board does have a basic graphics card. It's not much though. Hopefully it won't require a better one for anything.

The integrated graphics is fine -- basically it's purpose is to support IPMI ... a VERY nice feature that if you've not used before you'll quickly grow to like it => let's you do ANYTHING from your client PC with no keyboard or monitor required on the UnRAID box (even access the BIOS).

The hardware you've picked is pretty commonly used for unRAID so I'd expect it to work well.  Since you'll be running a motherboard and CPU that supports it, I'd recommend ECC RAM.

Great! I'll certainly look into getting ECC RAM. Might as well if I'm going this far.

Thanks!

That's really a no-brainer.  If you're building a fault-tolerant server using server-grade components with ECC support, why would you use anything except fault-tolerant memory !!