Is unraid for me?

WannabeMKII

I'm a long time lurker, but due to a few machine issues, I'm toying with the idea of moving across from a Windows 7 and a separate NAS, to one solution, unraid. I'm excited by the idea of changing, but also apprehensive, as I don't have a lot of spare time. I just want to set something up and let it run.

My situation is this;

Hardware

Server / PC - Dell T110 Tower Server Intel Xeon E3-1220v2 3.1GHz with 8GB ECC RAM. Windows 7 on 120GB SSD, then 1x2TB HDD and 2x500GB HDD. All individual drives and between them holding media, files etc and backed up to the following NAS & Crashplan...

NAS - HP ProLiant G7 MicroServer with 4GB RAM. Running XPEnology and 3x4TB HDD's in Synology SHR. This is purely a backup NAS for my machine, other PC's in the house, Apple Time Machine etc. Nothing is served from it.

So I'm running 2 machines, whereas, I'm thinking of running unraid on the Dell and moving the ProLiant on. XPEnology is running great on the ProLiant (489 days uptime...), but it makes me nervous for running updates etc.

Software - All Dell

Plex (Plex Pass user) - I share to a couple of family members

nzbget & nzbtomedia (and a few other extensions)

Couchpotato

Sonarr

Crashplan PROe

Plexconnect

NZBHydra

PlexPY

On the NAS, I also use Google Drive Sync.

So I guess my question is, what I currently do across 2 machines, can I replace with 1 unraid machine? I assume unraid just sits and runs and runs like the NAS and I install most of the software in Dockers? Then if there's something not available in Docker, I could run a Windows VM?

Apologies for such a long opening post, but this forum seems a great place to start with my opening questions and I'm sure I'll have more. But at this stage, I wanted to get initial feedback on if unraid will support my requirements. I guess the only other thing to consider is that I'm familiar with Windows, but not other OS's so much, but I am a fast learner...

Thanks all and looking forward to feedback.  ;)

So I guess my question is, what I currently do across 2 machines, can I replace with 1 unraid machine? I assume unraid just sits and runs and runs like the NAS and I install most of the software in Dockers? Then if there's something not available in Docker, I could run a Windows VM?

Yep, that's correct.  unRAID runs on the bare metal and hosts Windows in a VM if you want.  Most of your software needs will be met via Docker, browse the Docker Container Forum for support threads for the various Dockers.  If you have the luxury I'd really recommend standing up unRAID on a small test server to play around with before starting your final build.  Install the Community Applications Plugin and give all the Dockers you are interested in a try, and play around with a small VM as well.

If you want to run a Windows VM and envisage using a dedicated GPU for it, you'll need to use hardware passthrough. Be sure your Dell system (CPU & MB) support VT-D.

Bear in mind as well that you'll lose some RAM and CPU cores from your Windows VM compared to running bare-metal as you''ll need to leave some room for unRAID and all the dockers to run.

Thanks for the feedback and comments guys, appreciated. I think I've an old laptop somewhere, but not sure on the spec etc, but hopefully should be OK. However, I've watched lots of videos, so hopefully covered most in that. I've also thought about keeping the server as is and putting unraid on the ProLiant instead of XPEnology... Too much to think about...

I've been looking a while and my only potential reason for a Windows VM is for things I'm unable to run in a docker. For example, I've not seen a Crashplan PROe docker or anything to sync Google Drive, unless I've missed it?

If you want to run a Windows VM and envisage using a dedicated GPU for it, you'll need to use hardware passthrough. Be sure your Dell system (CPU & MB) support VT-D.

I've checked the BIOS today and I have an option for 'Virtualisation Technology'. Would that be sufficient?

Bear in mind as well that you'll lose some RAM and CPU cores from your Windows VM compared to running bare-metal as you''ll need to leave some room for unRAID and all the dockers to run.

In that case, would I benefit from more RAM?

However, if I can run everything in dockers, I hopefully won't need a Windows VM...?

On a slightly different note, how and where would nzbtomedia run? Would that run in / on the nzbget docker?

I've checked the BIOS today and I have an option for 'Virtualisation Technology'. Would that be sufficient?

Maybe but it needs more research.  Motherboards have for a number of years been supporting VT-x virtualization, which is what you need to spool up a basic VM where all hardware access is virtualized.  If you want to pass specific hardware into the VM like a graphics card, though, you need VT-d which is more recent technology.  In my limited experience a generic "Virtualization" setting is more likely to mean VT-x than VT-d.

If all you want to do is run a Windows VM for the purpose of running some kind of media automation program, though (a la CouchPotato) then VT-x may be all you need.

sync Google Drive, unless I've missed it?

You can use the Rclone docker

I've heard lots about Rclone and on looking, doesn't look straight forward to use. Also, the only one I've seen is by 'tynor88' through 'Community Applications'. Is that the correct one?

That is the correct one.

It is pretty straight forward, just use the rclone commands which are described on the rclone site.

Maybe but it needs more research.  Motherboards have for a number of years been supporting VT-x virtualization, which is what you need to spool up a basic VM where all hardware access is virtualized.  If you want to pass specific hardware into the VM like a graphics card, though, you need VT-d which is more recent technology.  In my limited experience a generic "Virtualization" setting is more likely to mean VT-x than VT-d.

If all you want to do is run a Windows VM for the purpose of running some kind of media automation program, though (a la CouchPotato) then VT-x may be all you need.

I've not heard of any of this before, so appreciate your comments. I don't / won't need the VM to do anything fancy, just run any any programs within a VM if I'm unable to run it in a docker directly within unraid. So I guess, do I need VT-d and will VT-x (if that's what I have) be sufficient?

Another question, but not related to virtualisation, how do people choose the correct / best docker when there's multiple choice? For example, there's quite a few variations of Plex, Sonarr etc, so how do you guys choose which one to install and run? Assume it's a case of research and trying them?

Whether you'll need VT-x or VT-d is up to your requirements.  I just want to create a VM = VT-x.  I want to create a VM and make use of a specific USB port, or I want to create a VM and make use of a gaming video card = VT-d.  Your requirements sound like VT-x to me.

Regarding Dockers, you should plan on researching the support threads for each Docker.  Most of the Dockers in Community Applications are created by member of the community (duh).  That means that you want to be sure the author is still actively supporting the Docker before you dive in.  A couple of active authors that you should consider are Linuxserver.io (a group of authors) and Binhex.

Been a busy week, so now it's the weekend, doing a bit more research and how best to configure...

In terms of drives, I have (god knows where they all came from  ;D);

3x WD Red 4TB (Currently in NAS)

2x WD Red 2TB

1x 500GB Seagate 2.5"

2x 500GB WD

2x 500GB WD 2.5"

1x Samsung 120GB SSD

1x Kingston 50GB SSD

I know I don't need to use all the drives, and to be honest I don't need that much storage so wasn't going to bother with the 500GB drives. The other issue I have, is the Dell server only has 4 SATA ports.

But I'm guessing ideally, I'd need 7 SATA? 5 for the WD Red's and 2 for the SSD's?

Is there a way to increase the number of SATA ports the Dell has? If so, or not, what would be the best config?

Thanks again all!

Edited as I can't count...  ::)

I think it's almost more important to establish a transition strategy first, then the final configuration.

Ok, first I assume you want your data protected so you'll need to plan for one (or two) parity drives.  The parity drive needs to be as large as, or larger than, your biggest data drive.  You can start with parity or add it later.  Writing to the array is slower when you have parity, so it can make sense to add it after filling your data drives.  Are you willing to start using the NAS drives now to build out your unRAID server?  If not, you need to buy some drives...  Also, how many drive bays does the T110 have?

If you have an available PCIex slot, you can add a SATA controller.  Popular 8 port cards are the Supermicro AOC-SASLP and AOC-SAS2LP, as well as the LSI based Dell PERC H310 or IBM M1015 (both of those flashed to IT mode).  There are also 2 and 4 port cards depending on how many drives you want to support.

The 500GB drives are a bit of a dead weight.  If you have the drive bays and are willing to buy an 8 port SATA controller, then go ahead and toss them in.  The truth is that you'd be better off replacing them with higher capacity drives, though.

The SSDs are best suited to either being the unRAID cache drive or hosting VMs via the Unassigned Devices plugin.  Since they're fairly different in size there isn't any advantage to putting them the default RAID 1 BTRFS configuration, so either go RAID 0 or just use one as the cache drive and mount the other.

• 2 weeks later...

The opening line in the last message, about a strategy, struck a cord and made me think more about my approach. Which got me thinking...

If I move my data away from the NAS, 'could' I replace XPEnology on the N54L with unraid? Copy the data back over to unraid,  then in the long term, move unraid from the N54L to the Dell Server and keep all my settings, arrays etc intact?

The reason I'm thinking this possible route, is rather than take everything offline and do everything in one go, slowly transition. For example, keep Plex on the server (for system power reasons) and move data to unraid, followed by program by program from the Dell and Windows to unraid, such as nzbget, CP, Sonarr etc. Then if happy, ready and comfortable, move unraid from the N54L to the Dell and install Plex.

Is that a potential option? Can unraid move hardware with no issues?

Thanks again for reading and helping!

Yes, that's an option for basic NAS functions and Dockers.  unRAID is very flexible and it's a practical approach to move all the drives and USB stick from one box to another and boot it right up.  The hardware has to be supported but that's rarely a problem.  It's a different story if you're using VMs with hardware passthrough but that didn't sound like it was part of your strategy.

That sounds perfect. I can then move across bit by bit rather than all in one go. Gives me more time to work things out, test bits etc.

Looking at what I use, the only potential issues I still see are;

1. Crashplan PROe - Currently running on Windows (No unraid replacement - So I'll have to change my backup solution (looking at ACD, but doesn't appear to be anything to run a backup to ACD on unraid), unless there's something else... Regular Crashplan is just too slow)

2. Google Drive Sync / Backup - Running on XPEnology (I use Google App's, so this is my local backup - I've been advised of rsync, but this looks way to complicated for me. Hoping to find something more straightforward (the whole aim behind this potential move), so open to suggestions)

3. TimeMachine - Running on XPEnology (From what I've read, there's not a reliable unraid replacement)

I do like XPEnology, but the fact that any reboot or update can cause it to stop working is my reason for moving away, just a shame I lose Google Drive Sync and TimeMachine as a result. My initial thoughts now are to just replace XPEnology with unraid if I can, as unraid shouldn't be as high risk, then eventually run everything from the Dell and retire the N54L if all goes well / to plan.

From user experience, am I still potentially pursuing the correct solution, or am I expecting too much?