3x 3.5" in 2x 5.25" drive cage for Fractal R5

Moussa

I'm looking for a 3 in 2 drive cage I can fit in my R5. I've had a look at this thread (https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24258.0) but the only one I can get in the UK is the Icy Dock MB153SP-B. I've also seen this SilverStone SST-FS303B (https://www.amazon.co.uk/SilverStone-SST-FS303B-5-25-Inch-3-5-Inch-Trayless/dp/B019LS5UVU/ref=sr_1_1), but not sure the latter will fit properly.

Any recommendations or should I just stick with the Icy Dock?

I used the icy dock in my R3. Never had a problem with it.

Kevin.

Sounds good, thanks.

I'm wondering why you feel the SilverStone might not fit properly? The advantage it has over the Icy Dock is that it is trayless.

It might be my eyes deceiving me but it looks slightly wider. From what I understand the Icy Dock cage is a tight fit as it is.

Interesting. The dimensions as given on the Amazon UK site are 19.5 x 14.6 x 8.5 cm and I see there are slots to accommodate the metal lugs that are often found between 5.25-inch bays. I don't know the Fractal R5 case - perhaps it's slightly narrower in that dimension than others. The only major criticism I've read of the SilverStone is that the fan is noisy - nothing about it being too wide.

If you want to save some money and don't care about hot-swap, you pick one of these up: https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16817995073&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle-Mobile&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-Mobile-_-Accessories+-+Hard+Drive-_-EVERCOOL+THERMAL+CORP.+LTD-_-17995073&gclid=CjwKEAjwwOvABRC08aedoZ_lnTMSJACs_cbuirRu6cfa0-fIINlMJ0JE8b8oscbPcuMX0tzsm_IxyxoCNOLw_wcB

I use one of those in both my Define R4 and my Define Mini. Just had to take off the front grill.

I've used similar 4-in-3 cages by Akasa, which fit nicely inside a Sharkoon T9 Value case and allow 12 3.5-inch disks to fit in the nine 5.25-inch bays. The downside is that replacing a disk is much more hassle. The upside is that they are cheap, quiet (120mm fan, which is easily replaceable) and the original Sharkoon filtered front panels can be used to reduce the amount of dust sucked in.

Interesting. The dimensions as given on the Amazon UK site are 19.5 x 14.6 x 8.5 cm and I see there are slots to accommodate the metal lugs that are often found between 5.25-inch bays. I don't know the Fractal R5 case - perhaps it's slightly narrower in that dimension than others. The only major criticism I've read of the SilverStone is that the fan is noisy - nothing about it being too wide.

I'll probably disconnect the fan on the Icy Dock anyway so that's not a concern to me. Looking more into this cage thanks.

If you want to save some money and don't care about hot-swap, you pick one of these up: https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16817995073&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle-Mobile&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-Mobile-_-Accessories+-+Hard+Drive-_-EVERCOOL+THERMAL+CORP.+LTD-_-17995073&gclid=CjwKEAjwwOvABRC08aedoZ_lnTMSJACs_cbuirRu6cfa0-fIINlMJ0JE8b8oscbPcuMX0tzsm_IxyxoCNOLw_wcB

I use one of those in both my Define R4 and my Define Mini. Just had to take off the front grill.

I do like the look of that cage, but I imagine that would be a huge pain in the ass to deal with when inserting/removing drives in the R5. It's very tight at the back of the top in the case, and to pull out a cage from the 5.25 bays I have to pull out the other drive cage below.

I've used similar 4-in-3 cages by Akasa, which fit nicely inside a Sharkoon T9 Value case and allow 12 3.5-inch disks to fit in the nine 5.25-inch bays. The downside is that replacing a disk is much more hassle. The upside is that they are cheap, quiet (120mm fan, which is easily replaceable) and the original Sharkoon filtered front panels can be used to reduce the amount of dust sucked in.

Looking, but I can't seem to find one in the UK for 2x5.25 bays.

I do like the look of that cage, but I imagine that would be a huge pain in the ass to deal with when inserting/removing drives in the R5. It's very tight at the back of the top in the case, and to pull out a cage from the 5.25 bays I have to pull out the other drive cage below.

Nah, you just pull it out of the front.  It's pretty easy.  I have it secured by 2 screws, easily accessible with the side panel off, then the whole cage just slides out the front of the case.  No issues with what's behind or below it.

3gVWt9WrTfJ_f4EJrTkiS_WvRrnamxsh6-LF_LxO4NPLLCk0hroCV42a830o7OdYmo7s0LM4wuvGEUk9ZKzEFpM-UYKqVo4FkFLnBb4TCQT-9ZHFwJ4hVUJvZWXFELYE8pSBfi5JLwMuXUG6vmiQBrebNhExaW92NLX7dznGkRk-9Su-Nz5U7pP9-wZJ-ROGM7mj-ccipUfLpOciyxf0Jzyq7o38YuOJ18Hd42tEHmVFVlQn5lYGX4fxgfz3jhM2Ozd8Rni27-QbBArnfIcC4UjQNOuY2wtJoswnlcrZyerNybeFcrjZyEHvXKOOLJe9rlLY_azcGNOVUGknS3A6tBzLh59VPqhxwA1G2yML2MdFH8RuTZGnTVUg8pjWyVQRWZNfPwM0MD9wAGsu8jfWrCMYsRh_yxLC9rEXn73IYh-iK_XEhqNiL4GOpuRvWgR7GS8S1Sh_ubBn6pJegFPbk-jA-9NNQghktapzwRkWf2p7QLYAQAyXfM9d0ArRfFtxzHKlX8RbDlu-wkv7wA-vrR_v9mG_K2kjRRLQ1iJeYV7Rwn9jGenIDQ3aYdEu01CqcNhv3fZQEJY5R1BU4SDQ91hEiHet6qHuE6Dor7h5_D4A7aQ-pg=w411-h730-no