A bit of advice needed about usb 3.0 card

SpaceInvaderOne

Hi Guys,

I'm wanting to buy a USB 3.0 card for my server so I can pass it through to VMS. Can anyone recommend a good card?

I see that all the cards seem to have a Molex power socket on them. I guess this is because the PCIe socket has no 5v supply and the

Molex has a 12v and 5v so takes the 5v to power the USB devices connected.

Now, what I was wondering. Do I need to connect power to the card? I want to have the card connected to a powered USB 3.0 hub on my desk, as the server is about 15 feet away.

As the hub is powered I guess I wouldn't need to have the Molex power connected to the card. Does this sound right?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/card.asp?Model=USB%203.1/A%2BC

No Power connector.

10gb USB

USB c

If you use a hub anway the only One Old faced Port is no prob to you

Has jumpers to Set behaviour for sleep modes allow Power Draw or Not.(in that it tells that it can Draw lots of Power from pcie which i did Not Test)

Can confirm Working multiple of These in my Server to multiple vms at once.

Windows 10 has drivers for it Out if the Box.

Payed less for it then i would have fo USB 3

It is Small, so mounting full size stuff around it probably wont mess up Fan intakes.

The Link is only there to idenrify the device.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I just got an Inateck 5-port card. The KTU3FR-502i . It has the Fresco Logic FL1100 chipset.

The card is fully compatible with OS X out of the box so made it the perfect choice for me as I run windows, osx and Linux VM's

and the card is good for all 3!  Unfortunately, it uses a SATA power so I had to put an extra SATA power cable onto the modular PSU.

Its all working fine and getting great speeds with it.

http://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-5o2i-usb-3-0-pci-express-card.html

Ah Peter, thats the KTU3FR 2O2I  not the KTU3FR-502i. I have read mixed reports about that working in os x

The one I bought is on amazon uk is

http://amzn.to/2f2OS5U

Thanks, do you think of another cheaper Inateck card that works? or is it only this that for 100% works with OSX ?

//Peter

There aren't many USB 3.0 cards with full native support. There were some cards that worked up until 10.10 but support "broke" from then on.

I know the 5 port card is a lot more expensive, but I think it's the only one I could find that would definitely work and I didn't want to have to buy another if wrong.

Some people said one of the cheaper cards worked but apparently was made with 2 different chipsets hence why some people had luck with it.

If you get a card based on the fresco logic fl1100 chipset you will be good to go!

The chipset is also recommended for oculus too (not that I have one)

Hi Gridrunner, I am having the same usb 3.0 card as you are having due to the native passthrough capabilities with OSX. How is the card working out for you? Whenever i boot up cold the card is working, but when i switch between VM's I get in to problems ... at times the whole system would even freeze up....?!

Hi Gridrunner, I am having the same USB 3.0 card as you are having due to the native passthrough capabilities with OSX. How is the card working out for you? Whenever i boot up cold the card is working, but when i switch between VM's I get in to problems ... at times the whole system would even freeze up....?!

To be honest I only installed the card for a day so can't really say. So far no problems. Do you stub the card prior to pass-through or just pass-through without stubbing the card?

Hi Gridrunner, I am having the same USB 3.0 card as you are having due to the native passthrough capabilities with OSX. How is the card working out for you? Whenever i boot up cold the card is working, but when i switch between VM's I get in to problems ... at times the whole system would even freeze up....?!

To be honest I only installed the card for a day so can't really say. So far no problems. Do you stub the card prior to pass-through or just pass-through without stubbing the card?

I am stubbing, but tried both. Somehow the card does not get released (reset) when shutting down a VM. Let me know if you have more luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk