Mac OS and .DS_Store files on unRAID, does unRAID support "named streams"?

vurt

tl;dr: Fellow Mac users, do you know of a way to stop the creation of these pesky invisible files that works on Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan and up?

This started as a CouchPotato issue. I realized CP is not able to delete folders after post processing because of the invisible .DS_Store files and .AppleDouble folders. Plus whatever ._ replicate of files like this:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=53769.0;attach=38540;image

As I researched into it I realize this command no longer works:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

Further research suggested modern servers can support "named streams":

Named streams are used to store Mac OS X extended attributes and can be leveraged to avoid using AppleDouble files to store the data fork and the resource fork of legacy Mac files.

Mac OS X Server v10.5 and v10.6, as well as many Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices, support named streams when you connect to them via SMB.

Microsoft Windows servers with NTFS-formatted hard drives also support named streams when you connect to them via SMB; named streams are called "Alternate Data Streams" in Windows.

Mac OS X v10.5 and v10.6 clients automatically enable named streams support when they have a SMB connection to a Mac OS X Server v10.5 or v10.6-based server.

Mac OS X v10.6 clients automatically enable named streams over SMB when the NAS or Windows server claims to support it.

I tried the following commands:

echo "[default]" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

echo "streams=yes" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

and creating ".com.apple.smb.streams.on" on the root of the share but I don't think any of these work either.

Screen_Shot_2016-11-14_at_9_05.06_AM.png.940960957ae92a21d5dd2dc82ab48b56.png

I use Macintoshes but I'm not troubled by the presence of those files. They are never displayed in the Finder and if you also use Windows you can hide them by configuring Samba to make them invisible. I don't use Couch Potato but I understand your problem, which can only be a result of your browsing its temporary working folders with your Mac. OS X only creates .DS_Store files within folders that you have actually been browsed with the Finder. The best way to prevent particular folders from being contaminated is to avoid opening them in Finder - just wait until the application has finished its job and moved the contents to its final destination. If you really must browse them then you can ssh in and use the Linux command line or the Midnight Commander tool to check on progress.

Each .DS_Store file contain metadata about the Finder's view of the folder that contains it (selected view, icon size and layout, scroll positions, etc.) so that the same view can be re-created when the Finder is next opened on that folder.

._* files are created when you change something about the associated file that can't be accommodated within the metadata that is normally associated with a file. They represent the resource fork, which is used, for example, if you give the file a custom icon.

I can't say for sure whether or not named streams are supported by unRAID because your post is the only reference to the subject that I can find on this board. I suspect that your experiments provide confirmation that, currently at least, they aren't.

Thanks for replying! Yeah I'm not usually bothered by them until I realized CouchPotato is tripping up over the files.

To be honest I wouldn't even have noticed this except I'm moving media from my old NAS into the working folders so CP and Sonarr will pick them up.

Just thought if there's a way to disable the files like there used to, I'd never run into this issue again.