How to allow Docker Containers full use of resources? (Plex transcoding)

So to keep this short and sweet, I've got a 24-core server running unRAID and a docker container with Plex. With this many cores, you would expect that transcoding would be lightning fast, right? nope

When transcoding, CPU usage floats between 1 and 38 percent (the highest I have ever seen it), but never makes use of the full CPU power. Is there a limit on the Docker container holding Plex? Any way to utilize more CPU power? And yes, I've already set the plex CPU setting to "Make my CPU hurt".

Ideas?

Cheers!

So to keep this short and sweet, I've got a 24-core server running unRAID and a docker container with Plex. With this many cores, you would expect that transcoding would be lightning fast, right? nope

When transcoding, CPU usage floats between 1 and 38 percent (the highest I have ever seen it), but never makes use of the full CPU power. Is there a limit on the Docker container holding Plex? Any way to utilize more CPU power? And yes, I've already set the plex CPU setting to "Make my CPU hurt".

Ideas?

Cheers!

With none of the extra parameters set to limit a docker app's resources, there should be no limit unless Plex itself is imposing the limits.  You might want to install cAdvisor so that you can outright see the utilization across the cores while Plex is running.

Plex transcodes in chunks. It doesn't transcode the whole movie at once.

When you finished watching that transcoded piece, Plex starts to transcode the next piece and so on.

I guess I should specify - I'm talking about "optimizing" my library, where Plex transcodes the video to another copy and stores that. In this case, I believe it transcodes the whole movie at once.

With none of the extra parameters set to limit a docker app's resources, there should be no limit unless Plex itself is imposing the limits.  You might want to install cAdvisor so that you can outright see the utilization across the cores while Plex is running.

Is this what you're looking for?

pk9QHdu.png