Share in Windows "Size vs Size on Disk" massive difference question.

egtrev

Hi 

I have a similar issue with the size of the drive AND number of files I copied to the array which looks so much different in size size and numbers of files when looked at in Krusader then on window. I'm a newbie and I primarily want to be 100%  sure that my files are there and I can preclear the drive I copied into the array without concern. Looking at it in Krusader through properties the size used and numbers of files is exact enough in the source and destination folder. But when I look at the folder in windows it is HUGELY different in numbers of files and size from what I see in krusader. 

I would LOVE if I can see the same numbers JUST to know that all is well and something is not missing. BUT if that is not possible based on what windows can and cannot read ( I tried the solution above for samba and it had no effect) I would be thrilled if someone can 100% convince me that all is well and I can be SURE that nothing is missing and be happy using unraid and just happily ignore the discrepancy. That all my files are there and I am missing nothing.

Thanks!

Jon

3 hours ago, jonF said:

I would be thrilled if someone can 100% convince me that all is well and I can be SURE that nothing is missing and be happy using unraid and just happily ignore the discrepancy. That all my files are there and I am missing nothing.

In order to do that, you need to run a binary comparison in some way. The most efficient way to do that is usually to generate checksums for both sets of files, then you can compare the list of checksums.

I haven't personally used this specific program, but it looks like it would do what you want. http://getmd5checker.com/

Checking your files should be relatively easy.

First if you want to verify sizes you'll want to use the du command.

An example would be (to show file sizes within a folder as well as any directory sizes)

du -h --max-depth 1 /path/to/folder/*

You may need to experiment to get quite what you want from this.

To verify that your files are the same, you need to get software for Windows that calculates checksums - I think there's an official MS version which gives you a right click CRC SHA option when you right click.

There's a few ways to get the SHA1 checksums for files in unRaid - if for example you want to get the sha1 checksums for all files in a directory (including subdirectories ) - you could do something like:

for a in $(find /path/to/directory -type f); do sha1sum $a ; done

(you could also do this with fiind using -exec or xargs but that's another story.)

That'll output a list of sha1 checksums which you can compare using the CRC checksum tool you installed in Windows. The checksums should be the same - obviously.

Hope this helps,

Del