Symlink for Plex Media folder not working

I created a symlink using the following on a system running Unraid 6.2.4 and the Plex docker from linuxserver repo on plex pass update channel.

ln -s '/mnt/user/plexfiles/Plex Data/Media/' '/mnt/user/docker/apps/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/'

and then running the following so that permissions match the original ones

chown -R nobody:users '/mnt/cache/docker/apps/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/'

It is setup just fine, when I go to the directory on cache folder I see the contents of the other folder. However, once I go into plex and try to import movies, the metadata does not load, sort of. It will fetch it, but it does not set it. If I edit the movie manually I can set the poster and background from, what I believe, is a selection of images it pulled. It does not pull any of the cast, descriptions, directors, etc.

I even thought at one point that maybe it could be issue without symlink so I removed it and tried to refresh item and everything loaded instantly as it should! So yeah, this is driving me nuts, what am I doing wrong? It's as if plex cannot access the directory via the symlink or something. I had this setup before but I recently had to reinstall everything and start from scratch and I cannot remember how I had this working.

So I believe you misread/it was unclear, but what I was trying to do is have it so that my thumbnail indexes were not on my SSD because it isn't so large and with a lot of content it quickly would fill up. Anyhow, you reminded me that using a symlink is what I had originally tried before realizing I could just use the template in Unraid to map the path, and so that's what I did just now and it worked, so my issues is resolved, thank you for sparking that memory.

• 6 years later...
On 12/28/2016 at 7:17 PM, commanderbloom said:

So I believe you misread/it was unclear, but what I was trying to do is have it so that my thumbnail indexes were not on my SSD because it isn't so large and with a lot of content it quickly would fill up. Anyhow, you reminded me that using a symlink is what I had originally tried before realizing I could just use the template in Unraid to map the path, and so that's what I did just now and it worked, so my issues is resolved, thank you for sparking that memory.

Did you add another host path in your docker template? maybe something like /config/media -> /mnt/ssd-cache-drive/Media?