So realistically, how bad is 48-50C only during parity checks

Anyone interested in results?

The Noctua P12s at full speed resulted in 45-50C during parity checks.

The new Noctua NF-F12-iPPC-3000s PWM were set to 30C (low) and 40c (high) with autofan. I'm currently 7% into parity check and they are at 74% (2146RPM), and the hottest drive is 36C. Most are 33C. When the drives are below the low temp value, they spin down to a whopping 277RPM. This is crazy because they are only suppose to go down to 800RPM before turning off, they produce no noise at these speeds.

I may tone my fan settings down because 36C is still pretty cold. Even at 74%, they are significantly louder than my P12s at full speed. At 50%, they are slightly quieter than the P12 but spinning about 400RPM faster. However, they seem to suck through the bays significantly better and will likely keep the drives <40C at those speeds.

So the result is a quieter AND colder server. I still haven't sealed up many of the openings, which should help even more.

Not really surprised ... as I noted earlier "... with that much increase in static pressure there simply has to be a big gain in cooling efficiency. "    I AM somewhat surprised at just how much better it is, however -- I figured at least a 5 degree drop; and yet you're getting well over 10 degrees !!    ... and that's not even at full speed.

Clearly this was absolutely worth it !!

Not really surprised ... as I noted earlier "... with that much increase in static pressure there simply has to be a big gain in cooling efficiency. "    I AM somewhat surprised at just how much better it is, however -- I figured at least a 5 degree drop; and yet you're getting well over 10 degrees !!    ... and that's not even at full speed.

Clearly this was absolutely worth it !!

14% in and still under 40C, with only 62%. About the same DB level as my P12s at these speeds.

Definitely worth the $75.

• 1 year later...

Not trying to wake up an old thread, but I was inspired by this thread and got a 1x140 (intake) and 1x120(exhaust) of the said noctua ippc 3000rpm, and in general they bring down the temperature of my 6x7200rpm drives by 9-11 degree during parity check, with both fans controlled by Asus motherboard Q-fan thingy (silent mode), so far it spins the fans max at +- 2000rpm, and yeah the noise not ideal but I can live with it for now.

• 2 weeks later...