Cannot find TOWER after switching to ISP Modem/Router

I recently moved my internet service to Rogers to utilize their gigabit plan.  I do plan on using my own router once I am happy with their service (their latest modem has been spotty), but until then, I would like to use their modem/router. 

The default LAN IP was 192.168.0.1 and DCHP range was from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.200.

I updated these settings to reflect what I was using on my router so I didn't have to update any of my devices.

Upon doing this, I can still get access to 192.168.1.200 for the unraid server, however, TOWER is no longer being recognized.  I tried changing the name in case it was cached, and still nothing. 

Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?

Thanks

You might try this. Install Dynamix Local Master plugin and set TOWER as browse master. Then reboot each of your Windows machines so they get the news.

Since this is a V5 thread, I'm not sure if that plugin exists.

mcleanap:

Are you still using unRAID V5? You should upgrade

Yes.  5.0.6 unfortunately.  Been meaning to upgrade for the past several months, but something else comes up.

On average, how much time should I allocate to do this?

Depends on what addons you have.

The basic NAS is pretty simple to go from V5 to V6, though you might want to tell us about your hardware since V6 isn't quite as easy on low-end systems as V5.

What plugins are you running?

Ya...that's what I read.  It was one of the reasons why I looked into upgrading to Unraid 6.

For now, I still cannot find TOWER, or any name I choose.  When I telnet into tower, I cannot ping other computers on the network either, so something is messed up somewhere.

I have attached my settings.

Image_4.png.285fbebfcf8e258c36f9ff7b5250d651.png

Image_5.png.1859832549c55b4731e609bae7fc633f.png

Are you using a static IP address for your unRAID server.  If so, your provider router will not know that that IP address has a name of Tower.  (You may be able to 'inform' the router of this if you reserve the IP address in a table for that purpose.)

There are many folks who have static IP addresses who never use the server name get to the GUI.

Next thing, (1) what was the old IP address range your personal router and (2) did you move all of the computers off of that router?  (If you have two routers on a LAN, you had better know exactly what you are doing or you will have problems!!!)  By the way, the DHCP process of that provider's router will have assigned different addresses to the other computers on the network. 

Yes, using a static IP address for unRAID Server. 192.168.1.200.

I also have that ip address reserved under DHCP reservation, specify the MAC address.

The old IP range is the same as I am using now.  The old router is turned off, so no devices are connected.  The IP address from other computers in the house are 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.4.

I can access 192.168.1.200 from the browser and see my unRAID GUI.  I have rebooted the unRAID server as well as my other computers.

I'll look into upgrading unRAID this week; at worst perhaps that solves this issue.

May we assume that all of your shares are available?  If that is the case, you have one of the routers that makes no provision for the names of computers that have statically assigned addresses.  If you really want that feature, you are going to have to setup your network using YOUR router rather than the provider's router.  (It is usually pretty easy to turn off the DHCP function on most modem/routers.) 

Reason for Edit:  Bold text was routers.

Ya, it definitely works with my router....as I had it running off the router up until a few days ago.  With the intermittent speeds and Rogers technicians involved, I wanted to run the internet straight through the modem for the time being.  Just though it would be a simple switch....apparently not.

<<< snip >>>

With the intermittent speeds and Rogers technicians involved, I wanted to run the internet straight through the modem for the time being.  Just though it would be a simple switch....apparently not.

OK, I can understand now why you are currently not interested in using your router and then having to deal with level 1 tech support people who are working from a script...

I'm not sure if it is worth it, and you may have already tried it in this order but I would try:

• Set the server to DHCP and reboot.
  • Set the router DHCP range to be, say, 10-199.
  • After the router has had some time to recognize the client (and hopefully in the client list you see the name as well as the IP), use the router's manual/static assignment page to assign a static IP of 200 to the server - note that this is outside the DHCP range.  Hopefully your router is also capturing the name as well as the MAC address of the client it's assigning the static IP address to.
  • Reset the server to the static IP and reboot.

The hope in this plan is to get the router to recognize the server's name by temporarily sending it through the DHCP routine.