Preclearing/HDD failed with brand new HDD

CaptainSpalding

I bought a brand new Samsung Ecogreen F2 1.5Tb drive yesterday and installed it to my unraid server.

I thought I would run the preclear overnight.

When I updated the progress from the webgui, the drive always made a clicking noise when it updated. I went to be and woke up, thought it would be done already, but I could not connect through webgui, so I hardbooted and my Fasttrak sata controller informed that "There is something wrong with your hardware!".  :-[

I was about to RMA it, but if the disc isn't (for some reason) faulty, I would have to pay for the disc-check.

What could have happened?

I have the HDD at work at the moment and if you guys think the HDD is a goner, I would return it on my way home and hopefully get a new one for the weekend.

Thanks in advance!

Yes. In the BIOS, and on the disk-management function in the control panel.

Don't forget, one of the major benefits of the pre-clearing process is the burn-in and ability to detect those disks prone to an early failure.  

It is a LOT easier to return the drive now, before it is part of your array, than after you have added it to the array.

Okey, so the server boots ok, but I cannot get to it through the web-interface. It only goes to "Wait..."

And the HDD seemed fine on my other comp.

If it goes to "wait" you might be able to get a syslog so we can see what is actually happening.  It might just be replaying the journal contents of the drives that were taken off-line abruptly when you forced a power-off and rebooted.

Just wait a few minutes and press refresh on the browser. 

Joe L.

Yes, try run the preclear sctipt on it.  If that can't pass, then the disk is of no use to you.

And that clears the data on the disc also?

Well, yeah.  I thought you recovered all that data from it, and considered it a goner.

Thought you asked this question out of denial, unwilling to let it go. :)

Run

hdparm -tT /dev/sdX

on it.  If it can do basic timing, it should not be a total fail.

I ran that same script with two other drives and comparing to those this seems fine. But should I get a replacement or is this SG still "not bad enough for RMA"?

I have very good quality SATA cables that I bought a couple of weeks ago, so I don't think they are the problem.

Now that the server has been running a while, I have noticed that while the other HDD's have about 250 reads the parity and the "red ball" SG have about 2500-3000 reads.... I parity drive trying to recover something or is it just the hdparm?

hdparm.JPG.e31828e396fc45359abf10783be9d3a0.JPG

Run

hdparm -tT /dev/sdX

on it.  If it can do basic timing, it should not be a total fail.

I ran that same script with two other drives and comparing to those this seems fine. But should I get a replacement or is this SG still "not bad enough for RMA"?

I have very good quality SATA cables that I bought a couple of weeks ago, so I don't think they are the problem.

Now that the server has been running a while, I have noticed that while the other HDD's have about 250 reads the parity and the "red ball" SG have about 2500-3000 reads.... I parity drive trying to recover something or is it just the hdparm?

It probably keeps re-trying to read.

I bought and hooked up a new hdd (WD 1.5Tb), now when I try to boot my Fasttrak sata controller says "There's something wrong with your hardware!"...

I'm thinking could it be the power? I have a 630W Nexus with 1.5Tb 12 HDD's.

If it is a single rail power supply it should be fine...  You might try using a different connector to power the disk.  (or a different SATA cable)

Archived