Another "can you help me with my new server" thread.

I'm wanting to buy the HP Proliant DL370 G6 Server and I know that the RAID Card it has onboard is not gonna work with unRAID.

"Link to the one I am looking at getting http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-DL370-G6-Server-4U-2x-2-66Ghz-Quad-Core-12GB-Ram-6x-146GB-HDD-/201805889270?hash=item2efc917ef6:g:RoMAAOSw5cNYlO9x"

From looking at the front drive bays it looks to have 3 SAS interfaces going off to the SAS cards "overpriced listing for the bay to add to a server that doesn't have all 3 bays http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-507803-B21-8-SFF-Drive-Bay-Expansion-DL370g6-ML370g6-Will-Work-in-All-Bays-/152407837102?hash=item237c3709ae:g:LT4AAOSwHMJYDjNI"

Does anyone know of a good Card that I can use that would take all 9 connectors from the front drive bays?

The machine has 10 PCIe slots so I'm ok with doing an extra card if needed.

Thanks

I use an h220 hba and a hp sas expander which also has a port on the back of the card to go to another array box. both were plug and play in my case. The expander won't get you to 9, but will do 6.

The h220, do you have to flash it or anything? JBOD/Passthrough working ok?

I may buy three if its working for you.

After looking again and checking the servers manual it looks like there are two cables coming out of the drive bays.

So I would need 3 h220s I think.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I bought 2 cards from 2 separate people on ebay at 2 separate times and just dropped them in. One server is using it (in combination with the sas expander) to run a 7 disk 3.5 array, 2 cache disk, with 5 2.5 drives mounted via unassigned devices of which 2 sas drives are passed directly to a vm. It seems to have no problems running mixed disk sizes and types. Your mileage may vary but that how mine goes.

There may be other cards with more sas cabling outputs on them, but I didn't have the need so I didn't look. I only have the sas expander in my server so I can access the external 3.5 array.

Be sure to read on the device speed limitations using this card: 6 Gbps sas, 3 Gbps sata - https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04111455.pdf?ver=3 (the biggest penalty being on sata ssd drives not being used to full capabilities)

I bought 2 cards from 2 separate people on ebay at 2 separate times and just dropped them in. One server is using it (in combination with the sas expander) to run a 7 disk 3.5 array, 2 cache disk, with 5 2.5 drives mounted via unassigned devices of which 2 sas drives are passed directly to a vm. It seems to have no problems running mixed disk sizes and types. Your mileage may vary but that how mine goes.

There may be other cards with more sas cabling outputs on them, but I didn't have the need so I didn't look. I only have the sas expander in my server so I can access the external 3.5 array.

Be sure to read on the device speed limitations using this card: 6 Gbps sas, 3 Gbps sata - https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04111455.pdf?ver=3 (the biggest penalty being on sata ssd drives not being used to full capabilities)

I just noticed your signature, I was also looking at the DL380 G6

Are you able to put in a graphics card in these machines? Any reason to go for the 380 over the 370? I was going to do the 370 for the extra PCIe slots and I want to pass a video card to a VM for nVidia GameStream.

The only thing I can see that the 380s have over the 370 is power efficiency. (450 watt power supplies vs 750)

EDIT: I decided to go to the HP machines because I wanted a way to get a 16x PCIe slot for pass through to a VM. I have another thread where I was asking about the IBM 3650 M3s

If I had to choose again, I'd go probably go with more pcie slots in the dl370. I think they in terms of performance they are operationally essentially the same? But the machines I have came up for a very, very good price for me (50 each picked up.)

I "can" fit in certain video cards. the single width geforce 710/730 series has no issues. I have a gtx 760 wedged into one of my servers... and I do mean wedged. I had to trim the back of the plastic shroud off the video card to get it to clear the heat sink for the processors. The other issue is that mine doesn't come with a power output on the server board that can facilitate running the video card. SO I had to hack together another external power supply and run power to the card that way. AND the pcie slots are so close together on the the dl380 g6 that the gtx 760 blocks one of the other slots, so it ends up taking "2" of my 6 available spots.

But I don't think the 370 will have that problem in most slots, looking at the pic. I don't know about powering a card though...

When you get ready to setup your vm's, send me a message, You have to add a thing or two to the syslinux.cfg to make it work.

In terms of power: 3 of my servers are running 450watt dual power supplies. 1 of them is running 750 watt dual power supplies. The only reason I upgraded one of them is because it has 3x the ram and is loaded on drives and pcie cards, and was continually forcing the dual power supplies out of redundancy into both being active at the same time.

• 4 months later...
On 2/9/2017 at 8:41 PM, 1812 said:

I use an h220 hba and a hp sas expander which also has a port on the back of the card to go to another array box. both were plug and play in my case. The expander won't get you to 9, but will do 6.

Hi... I just got an HP DL380 G7, has 8-bay SFF and that is it (2U). I happen to have unRAID on another 4U box (this new one is 2U). So since I am not planning to use the backplane nor the 2.5 disks I am thinking on using this new server as my main but with the 3.5 drives. Of course this box cannot fit the 15 that the older box can (currently only 8 are populated). So you mentioned that the hp sas expander has a port on the back that can go to another array box..

I am very interested since I want to use this server as the main but with the 3.5 drives from the other box... what type of connection is it? to what can you connect it to? another hp dl?

do you know what voltage comes from the onboard 10-pin sas power connectors? I also found that there are 10-pin (originally for the dl380 g5) to molex/sata/pci-e so you can use power from the mobo. I thought on moving the server to the 4U using these to power my drives and to connect them to the mb 2 or 3 pci- 4x sata cards (not raid cards)

TB2Mg_ilpXXXXXEXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!178822602_

7 hours ago, CarlosRojo said:

I am very interested since I want to use this server as the main but with the 3.5 drives from the other box... what type of connection is it? to what can you connect it to? another hp dl?

It uses a mini sas 4x connector out, which I run to a dell md1000. https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04111623.pdf?ver=15

As far as I know, you can run it to any jbod box as long as you can get a cable that makes the mini sas go to whatever the box is.

7 hours ago, CarlosRojo said:

do you know what voltage comes from the onboard 10-pin sas power connectors? I also found that there are 10-pin (originally for the dl380 g5) to molex/sata/pci-e so you can use power from the mobo. I thought on moving the server to the 4U using these to power my drives and to connect them to the mb 2 or 3 pci- 4x sata cards (not raid cards)

I've never tested the power output from the 10 pin, but I think I read somewhere it is either 75 or 150 watts? As you noted they are intended for the on-board backplanes. I thought on the G7 there was an extra one for gpu power. I don't know if it is a "standard" distribution of the power or something different but using the standard connector.

Ok.. So I've checked the pdf, says the sas expander external link is for tape... but it can be used for connecting to another server?

I think this hp dl380 that i've got has 2 single port infiniband cards already... aren't those the same as the sas 4x or mini sas 4x?

but.. to the point, I think I may need to wait, I'm a little constrained on budget right now.. so the other option I might go for is keeping the unraid box that i currently have like it is, install something else on the dl380 and make the dl380 handle everything the unraid box is doing right now, which is essentialy + plex media server + vms..

16 hours ago, 1812 said:

It uses a mini sas 4x connector out, which I run to a dell md1000. https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04111623.pdf?ver=15

As far as I know, you can run it to any jbod box as long as you can get a cable that makes the mini sas go to whatever the box is.

I've never tested the power output from the 10 pin, but I think I read somewhere it is either 75 or 150 watts? As you noted they are intended for the on-board backplanes. I thought on the G7 there was an extra one for gpu power. I don't know if it is a "standard" distribution of the power or something different but using the standard connector.

well the g7 has two of those 10-pin, but currently only using one for the backplane of those 8 bays.. according to the diagram of the mb the other 10-pin is named sas power B.. which I'm assuming would be used if the box had the 16-bay config...

i would have to buy two of those expanders? one for my unraid box and the other for the server, of course the unraid box only has 2 sata controllers for some of the drives while the others are connected to the sata ports on the mb.. i have no backplanes on the unraid because...well because I had no budget when I built that shame of a server..hehe

if I was to go ghetto I would have to strip the dl380 of the mb, put it in the unraid box (4U rosewill 15 (3x5 3.5" slots)) put the sata cards and draw power from the mb from those 2 10-pin connectors (found 10-pin to 2 sata or 10-pin to sata/molex (4P)/8-pin (for GPUs)) or get the sas expander and use it for the drives... but would also need to draw power from the mb..

Looks like I'll need to either wait or do the 2 server approach.. 

1 hour ago, CarlosRojo said:

i would have to buy two of those expanders?

I have one in each of two dl380 g6 servers. I'm also using an h220 hba. When I first started with unRaid, the onboard raid wasn't supported. I think it is now, but one of my serves was also throwing errors with the onboard card, so it all sort of works for me to just leave it alone since it is currently working.

well the g7 has two of those 10-pin, but currently only using one for the backplane of those 8 bays.. according to the diagram of the mb the other 10-pin is named sas power B.. which I'm assuming would be used if the box had the 16-bay config...

I have two as well on the G6. They are both intended for forward backplanes.

You could make a disk enclosure that is drives only, with its own independent power supply. Run a x4 out from the server to a breakout or other type of solution to the drives.

Ok.. So I've checked the pdf, says the sas expander external link is for tape... but it can be used for connecting to another server?

I think this hp dl380 that i've got has 2 single port infiniband cards already... aren't those the same as the sas 4x or mini sas 4x?

but.. to the point, I think I may need to wait, I'm a little constrained on budget right now.. so the other option I might go for is keeping the unraid box that i currently have like it is, install something else on the dl380 and make the dl380 handle everything the unraid box is doing right now, which is essentialy + plex media server + vms..

It says "tape out" but trust me, it doens't care that I have a dell MD-1000 hooked up to it. Or any other JBOD enclosure.

If you have infinband out onboard, then you're set for making something happen and wouldn't need the expander, provided unraid recognizes the infiniband ports.

51 minutes ago, 1812 said:

It says "tape out" but trust me, it doens't care that I have a dell MD-1000 hooked up to it. Or any other JBOD enclosure.

If you have infinband out onboard, then you're set for making something happen and wouldn't need the expander, provided unraid recognizes the infiniband ports.

hmm looks like I'll try the infiniband...since the dl380 has 2.. and both are dual, not single port... (HP InfiniBand 4X QDR CX-2 Dual-Port 40Gb IB /10GbE PCIe Adapter) 

Maybe I can try to put one on the unraid box and the other on the dl380 and see if they see each other via the 10gbE.. maybe that's one affordable solution (I'll have to have them directly connected to each other I presume)..

56 minutes ago, 1812 said:

I have one in each of two dl380 g6 servers. I'm also using an h220 hba. When I first started with unRaid, the onboard raid wasn't supported. I think it is now, but one of my serves was also throwing errors with the onboard card, so it all sort of works for me to just leave it alone since it is currently working.

I have two as well on the G6. They are both intended for forward backplanes.

You could make a disk enclosure that is drives only, with its own independent power supply. Run a x4 out from the server to a breakout or other type of solution to the drives.

And for making the drive enclosure... so running a long mini sas (8087) breakout (usually 4x) to connect directly to the drives in the enclosure?

so power supply I do have a couple psus around..could I just bypass the mb of what now is my unraid box? I mean only powering, not booting or anything? or what type of board do I need (a board that powers the drives?) do you know any?

59 minutes ago, CarlosRojo said:

And for making the drive enclosure... so running a long mini sas (8087) breakout (usually 4x) to connect directly to the drives in the enclosure?

so power supply I do have a couple psus around..could I just bypass the mb of what now is my unraid box? I mean only powering, not booting or anything? or what type of board do I need (a board that powers the drives?) do you know any?

this is one way to do it: https://www.servethehome.com/sas-expanders-diy-cheap-low-cost-jbod-enclosures-raid/

But you can also bypass the motherboard and use a jumper on 2 pins for the motherboard power connector and get the PSU to kick full power with the switch only. I had to do this when I had a gtx 760 in a 360 G6 since I didn't have any power available off the motherboard.

You could then use that psu in an empty case with some drives, a few fans, make the mini sas go to some sort of breakout (cable/etc) and have about as janky a JBOD box as one could imagine.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I know it's an old post, but I bought also a HP H220 for a DL380 G7.

Problem is... it's detected as an UNKNOWN DEVICE from the Mainboard:

immagine.png.653717b33431de4a825aae8a390e2466.png

I bought that cause the P410i can't do ITMODE... and reading you guys I tough it would work with the G7.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thx for any help ^^