What is a good Wireless Access Point?

unraided

Hi. I'm soon planning to build a HTPC and would need to connect it via a wireless link as using a physical patch connection would be hard to implement for where the HTPC is going to be. I'm currently using a 54g wifi connection, for which SD movies and nothing HD is fine. I would to upgrade to N standard, the fastest is 300Mbps. i'm predicting the access point and PC will be about 15 to 20 metres away and roughly in line of sight. What brand/model is recommend to pump full HD movies via a wifi link. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Look into a Cisco WRT160N wireless router.  Then install DD-WRT firmware onto it to make it stellar.  DD-WRT is a linux distro I think and it's written for the Broadcom chip in that router.  Note:  I have version 3 of the router - it has the Broadcom chip.  A later version has the Atheros chip and I'm not sure if it works.  Do your own research.  Cheers.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32576&highlight=wrt160n

http://www.coderetard.com/2008/05/30/install-dd-wrt-firmware-on-linksys-wrt150n-wrt160n-wireless-routers/

Hi queeg. Thanks for your suggestion. I was looking at this access point originally, but now I've decided to spend the extra cash (waiting for pay day) and I'm looking at getting the Linksys WRT610N Dual Band Wireless Router Gigabit. This one seems to have what I need and was asking for in a access point. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip barrygordon, though I just bought the Linksys WRT610N Dual Band Wireless Router. I've yet to install or configure it. I'll keep you all posted in the week to come on my progress. Thanks for the suggestions. From what I read, it was giv reviews.

For a pure access point (no Router capability) look into the Pakedge line. They are commercial/industrial grade but look very good in ceiling or wall mounts.  One unit will nicely handle a 5000 square foot home.

Thanks for the tip barrygordon, though I just bought the Linksys WRT610N Dual Band Wireless Router. I've yet to install or configure it. I'll keep you all posted in the week to come on my progress. Thanks for the suggestions. From what I read, it was giv reviews.

Google ddwrt and see if it can be installed on your linksys router.  I have the 320N and with ddwrt it is great!

Looks interesting prostuff1. Brings me back to the days of running a Linux Distro on my old HP PPC 5550. I'll might have to try it as a alternative fw to the existing factory Linksys fw. Thanks.

Google ddwrt and see if it can be installed on your linksys router.  I have the 320N and with ddwrt it is great!

Archived