6.3.x - very high load numbers under normal activity

bfeist

Hi all,

I'm a very long time unraid user, and have been following the upgrade path quite happily until the past few weeks. I'm experiencing what amounts to very slow network read/write recently. I attributing this to some kind of change in recent version, but it could be a hardware problem as well. Nothing at all in the logs. Any thoughts?

The attached photo is under a normal SMB network copy operation of a single 10GB file writing to a cache SSD. The copy operation when watched from the Windows side copies at close to 1gbps for a few seconds then drops to zero for 30 seconds, then up to speed again, etc.

Ben

@1812 I thought SSD Trim was automatic with BTRFS. I've just installed the SSD Trim plugin. Do I need to configure it?

@garycase Here's a dump of my info. Reasonably new machine.

M/B: MSI - A88XM-E45 (MS-7721)

CPU: AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G @ 3100

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 256 kB, 4096 kB

Memory: 8 GB (max. installable capacity 8 GB)

Network: eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 4.9.10-unRAID x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.0.2k

That's a reasonable processor -- I'd certainly not expect to see the utilization numbers you're seeing with it.

Look carefully at your network configuration page and see if there are any settings that may have changed.  If you want to confirm you're not having an issue with the drivers for your Realtek NIC, you could try installing an Intel NIC card and see if that resolves things.

@1812 I thought SSD Trim was automatic with BTRFS. I've just installed the SSD Trim plugin. Do I need to configure it?

@garycase Here's a dump of my info. Reasonably new machine.

M/B: MSI - A88XM-E45 (MS-7721)

CPU: AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G @ 3100

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 256 kB, 4096 kB

Memory: 8 GB (max. installable capacity 8 GB)

Network: eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 4.9.10-unRAID x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.0.2k

trim is "setup" under settings tab> scheduler.

Searching the forums isn't clear about if the drive does trim automatically or not, but many people seem to have the plugin still active through 6.3.1

Is it a cheap ssd? sometimes cheap ssd's have awful performance, and mimic the behavior you've noted (I know my lower end Kingston, PNY, and patriot ssd's all do this, but my samsungs don't.

Archived