SSD docker uers, how are you faring?

I'm still highly skeptical of SSD's long-term lifespan, perhaps ignorantly so.  I would like to move my docker image and associated file structures to an SSD outside the array.  Sab, SB, and plex specifically.  However, these three pieces of software generate hundreds of thousands of files (if not more) and theoretical writes of upwards of several TBs a month, as presently configured.

So I'm wondering, those of you who are using SSDs in a similar capacity, how long have your SSDs been in service, and have they given you any issues?

1) SSD write endurance changes with each generation. Any research is limited to the generation studied. This is still a rapidly advancing area. Today, many MLC/TLC/QLC based SSDs use a portion as SLC for cache, in varying amounts.

2) A "reliable" device is not a substitute for a backup. Everything fails.

• Upvote 1

I have been using an EVO 850 250GB SSD since May 2016.  I run a dozen dockers including SAB, SB, Deluge, and Plex with constant downloading and unpacking to the drive.  No issues so far.  I configured the TRIM plugin to run once a week.  And I use the Community Applications Backup function to backup my AppData to the protected array once a week.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, c3 said:

1) SSD write endurance changes with each generation. Any research is limited to the generation studied. This is still a rapidly advancing area. Today, many MLC/TLC/QLC based SSDs use a portion as SLC for cache, in varying amounts.

2) A "reliable" device is not a substitute for a backup. Everything fails.

Quite right, however provided that you either have a large SSD and utilise TRIM etc you wont run into an issue for years, or have an enterprise SSD which is designed for endurance, as i listed with mine, it is entirely SLC over NVMe U.2

Nothing should be long-term kept on the cache that you cant live without. Dockers can be rebuilt, i run the mover once a week, anything in that week can be easily redone.
Configurations and things that are important are backed up to the UnRaid array itself and a secondary NAS which is offsite.

• Upvote 1