Refurbished supermicro server an option?

beanbag

If you want to save a PCIe slot you could also go for a LSI-9201 16i card.  I bought my first one off of Amazon.  I just purchased two more off of eBay and am waiting for delivery.  They are not cheap Amazon was $384 but I got a significant discount on my eBay ones $250 and free shipping.  With the 10 usable ports (do yourself a favor and don't use those on the Marvel 9230.  It does work for some but you will avoid complications if you have problems by avoiding them from the start) a 9201 would give you 16 more ports for a total 26.  Two for the OS drive tray (if your case is like a norco 4224 and has an OS drive tray mounted to fan wall anyway) and 24 more for the front drive trays..

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, beanbag said:

Seriously considering getting 2 of the hba cards from natex along with the evga psu and heats ink bundle they offer (even though that bundle is currently out of stock)

I would reconsider that. According to the specs on their page for that PSU, it had 4 12v rails as opposed to one single, which while fine for desktop systems, can be potentially problematic for servers with a bunch of drives. If too many drives are pulling from one rail (and there's no way of knowing which cables are on which rail), you could run into problems.

For peace of mind, I would stick with some of the recommended single rail PSUs that you can find in the recommended PSU thread. If you plan on having 24 drives and a vm or 2 with video, without doing the math, you should probably be looking at around 750 - 850w*. I'm partial to Seasonic or the higher end of Corsair, but I've seen some good things about some of the EVGA PSUs lately...

Here's a sorted newegg list of suitable drives. The EVGA 750w bronze drive seems super cheap at $69 after mail in rebate ($79 without). Single rail, 5 year warranty... I don't have any experience with it, so maybe some other members can comment, but it looks pretty good...

*You could even get away with slightly smaller (600-650W-ish) if you stick to drives that draw 2amps or less, but personally I rather go over a bit, for comfort sake. Especially since as PSUs age, they tend to lose a bit of oomph.

Edited by DoeBoye