Inotify Resources Exhausted

/usr/bin/tail: inotify resources exhausted
/usr/bin/tail: inotify cannot be used, reverting to polling

I'm often seeing this in my server log, which seems to coincide with Plex having a pausing/stuttering issue.  Has anybody else seen this, and/or have suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks!

~Spritz

I'm running the latest version (6.3.2), and this is happening when Fix Common Problems is not running... I only have it scheduled to run once a week.  This error is showing in unraid's log file (though FCP also picked it up).  Further, I have none of the apps installed that are identified as causing this issue by FCP installed.

~Spritz

EDIT - Apparently I somehow deleted someone's reply to my post... apologies, it had looked like I had made a duplicate post, I simply meant to delete my duplicate post.

Edited by Spritzup
Forum oddities
I'm running the latest version (6.3.2), and this is happening when Fix Common Problems is not running... I only have it scheduled to run once a week.  This error is showing in unraid's log file (though FCP also picked it up).  Further, I have none of the apps installed that are identified as causing this issue by FCP installed.

~Spritz

EDIT - Apparently I somehow deleted someone's reply to my post... apologies, it had looked like I had made a duplicate post, I simply meant to delete my duplicate post.

What is your list of plugins?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Squid said:

What is your list of plugins?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Here you go -->

CA Auto Update Applications

CA Backup/Restore Appdata

CA Cleanup Appdata

Community Applications

Dynamix Cache Directories

Dynamix Local Master

Dynamix SSD Trim

Dynamix System Statistics

Dynamix WebGui

Fix Common Problems

IPMI Support

Nerd Tools

Open Files

Preclear Disks

Recycle Bin

Tips and Tweaks

Unassigned Devices

unBalance

unRaid Server OS

Thanks!

~Spritz

Strange...  Only the plugins should be able to max it all out.  And I don't think any of your listed plugins have the ability to do that.

What is the output of 

cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches

You may have to create a script composed of 

echo someNumber > /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches

and either have it run via the user_scripts plugin at array start or by modifying /boot/config/go

4 hours ago, Spritzup said:

As requested -->

root@Brain:/# cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches

Not sure what's using it, but dlandon was going to pump out an update to Tips&Tweaks plugin to allow you to increase it via a GUI.  Barring that, you'll have to add the command to your go file as I posted above.

There is no recommended setting for any flavour of linux.  Its all 100% dependent upon what you are monitoring.  Each folder and each file monitored each take up one watch.  Increasing the number of available watches does not consume any resources.  Each utilized watch takes up maybe 50-100 bytes of RAM.  So basically, you just set it to whatever works for you.

I guess the output of

ps -aux | grep inotify

would be helpful to determine what is consuming the watches and help you come up with a decent number (should've thought of that before)

Edited by Squid