WD 2 TB for $149.99 at Amazon (WD20EADS or WD20EARS)

omkar

I've read reports that the EARS 64mb cache makes a large difference.

If you read and write small files often, then this is true.  However, most unRAID users populate their servers with large media files - in this scenario, the larger cache makes little difference.

Purko makes a good point, purchasing the EARS is more 'forward thinking'.  If I were to buy one, I would get the EARS as well, especially since I have a stash of spare jumpers just sitting around.  However, for the average person out in cyberspace, not knowing their technical prowess or the status of their jumper ownership, I would recommend the EADS because it will 'just work'.

Having dealt with jumper issues on Samsung drives before, I think it is very poor form for WD or any hard drive manufacturer to require or recommend using a jumper but not include one in the package.  Perhaps a jumper is included with the retail package, I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

Both are fine for unRAID, but I would recommend the EARS. 

When unRAID gets native support for the new 4k format, you'll regret getting the EADS when you could have gotten the EARS for the same price.

I wonder, when will the kernel will have the native support included?

It's not Kernel support that's needed. It's already supported. It's unRAID support that's needed. To get full performance out of the drive, the starting sector of the partition needs to be at 64. Currently it's at 63.

Exactly, and unRAID's choice to start the partition on sector 63 was make it be most backward compatible with Microsoft partitioning tools if attempting to mount it in a windows environment, as historically most all of MicroSoft partitions started on sector 63.

The drive will still work, regardless of the jumper, but it will be improved a bit with it.

Archived