VM creation error Invalid value '1' for 'cpuset.cpus': Invalid argument

Go to solution Solved by TheToillMainn,

I'm trying to create Windows 10 VM on Unraid 6 but when I select any other cpu then "cpu 0" or any other cpu with" cpu 0" I get "VM creation error Invalid value '1' for 'cpuset.cpus': Invalid argument" 

I tried creating other OS but I'm see same problem.

I can run VM on one "cpu0" but it's extremely slow. 

I'm using xion 

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 6.26.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 6.27.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 6.28.53 PM.png

• 2 months later...

I might be missing something here as I don't use a Intel platform at the moment. But shouldn't the CPU cores be listed from 0 onwards and not skipping numbers out like 1,3,5 etc.

Have you tried assigning only CPU 0 and 2 to a VM and see it it starts?

I would expect the Unraid UI and the VM Manager UI to match in terms of CPU cores numbers.

15 minutes ago, Tuftuf said:

I might be missing something here as I don't use a Intel platform at the moment. But shouldn't the CPU cores be listed from 0 onwards and not skipping numbers out like 1,3,5 etc.

Have you tried assigning only CPU 0 and 2 to a VM and see it it starts?

I would expect the Unraid UI and the VM Manager UI to match in terms of CPU cores numbers.

Selecting 0 and 2 works wonders. However, it's pretty weird that 1, 3 and so on are listed but unusable. Tried google without any luck.

I think this is bug or an issue from the underlying OS rather than Unraid itself. 

I've seen some other threads on cpu assignments or pairings been messed up, maybe this is related. But I believe your issue is that OS is presenting your 16 cores incorrectly to Unraid and causing a mismatch when you attempt to use the VM Manager UI.

In other words, the numbers on the dashboard have to match the numbers on the VM Manager UI.

You do not have a CPU core 1,3,5,7 etc etc available to assign. In the current state you could only assign 0,2 - 4,6 - 8,10 - 12,14 to a VM.

Are you using the latest version?

Depending on your use case you may want to test the 6.4RC now available, but understand this is a test version.

1 minute ago, Tuftuf said:

I think this is bug or an issue from the underlying OS rather than Unraid itself. 

I've seen some other threads on cpu assignments or pairings been messed up, maybe this is related. But I believe your issue is that OS is presenting your 16 cores incorrectly to Unraid and causing a mismatch when you attempt to use the VM Manager UI.

In other words, the numbers on the dashboard have to match the numbers on the VM Manager UI.

You do not have a CPU core 1,3,5,7 etc etc available to assign. In the current state you could only assign 0,2 - 4,6 - 8,10 - 12,14 to a VM.

Are you using the latest version?

Depending on your use case you may want to test the 6.4RC now available, but understand this is a test version.

Yeah, my thoughts as well. I'm using the latest 6.3.5 release. This is the only problem I've got with the system so far. I would rather not update to a test version, but if that will fix it it's probably worth it.

7 hours ago, 1812 said:

downgrade to 6.2.4 to resolve core numbering issue. then when 6.4 is fully released, upgrade to fix it. 6.4rc will fix the core count, but it's not considered "safe" for data storage until it's done being tested.

So that's a known issue with 6.3.5? I've got no real problem other than the corecount anyways, guess I'll just wait for 6.4. Thanks man!