Single USB device shared by Multi VMs

Hi every body!

I'm newbie here. I've just started with Unraid pro and any thing look like very well.

But I get a little matter here. I try to access to USB devices by multi VMs, nut not successful. As I know, all USB port of one  IOMMU group can not be separately.

So, is there any way to share Single USB device by Multi VMs?

thanks for your reading.

7 hours ago, masterss0 said:

Hi every body!

I'm newbie here. I've just started with Unraid pro and any thing look like very well.

But I get a little matter here. I try to access to USB devices by multi VMs, nut not successful. As I know, all USB port of one  IOMMU group can not be separately.

So, is there any way to share Single USB device by Multi VMs?

thanks for your reading.

You could plug your device into a usb port that is NOT passed through to a VM, and then use the Libvirt USB hotplug plugin to assign it to different VMs without stopping the VM

You could always try using a Ethernet connected USB hub, like SEH myUTN to dynamically attach to the USB device.  myUTN is kind of expensive for what you get, but it is very useful when trying to share a USB device with multiple VMs.  One of my use cases is to use a lab probe with multiple VMs.  In this case, I install the myUTN SW on each VM, then activate the probe on the VM I want.  There is some lag due to network, but it works remarkably well.

--Harper

17 hours ago, Squid said:

You could plug your device into a usb port that is NOT passed through to a VM, and then use the Libvirt USB hotplug plugin to assign it to different VMs without stopping the VM

Yah, I mean that both VMs access to USB device at one moment. tks you!

13 hours ago, harperhendee said:

You could always try using a Ethernet connected USB hub, like SEH myUTN to dynamically attach to the USB device.  myUTN is kind of expensive for what you get, but it is very useful when trying to share a USB device with multiple VMs.  One of my use cases is to use a lab probe with multiple VMs.  In this case, I install the myUTN SW on each VM, then activate the probe on the VM I want.  There is some lag due to network, but it works remarkably well.

--Harper

So, the usb device only connect to one VM at the moment, right? and change to another VM by switch? I want to 2 VM connect to Usb device at same time. Is that possible?

51 minutes ago, masterss0 said:

Yah, I mean that both VMs access to USB device at one moment. tks you!

So, the usb device only connect to one VM at the moment, right? and change to another VM by switch? I want to 2 VM connect to Usb device at same time. Is that possible?

No.  This is like asking for 2 PC's to be connected to the same USB device at the same time - it cannot be done

the closest you might get is to have the USB connected to one VM and then shared out to make it accessible to the other VM over the network.    Whether this is a viable approach will depend on what type of device you are talking about.

Edited by itimpi