Basic PSU Question

Feel like a bit of a dunce for asking this, as I've built many computers in my time - but want to check which cables should be plugged where on my motherboard - as my motherboard seems to have an abundance of PSU ports!

My motherboard (Asus X99-WS/IPMI) has...

24 pin ATX12v - no problem here

8 pin ATX12V - I recognise this one as the 4+4 split connector

8 pin ATX12V1 - appears to be exactly the same as the ATX12V

6 pin ATX12V_1 - no idea

So what are these extra ones for? My PSU has 2x PCIe power connectors (in 6+2 config), so wondered if perhaps one (or both) of them were designed to take an additional 12v feed, but the port looks like it's a different setup from the PCIe connector.

Only other thought I had was if ATX12V1 was for a second PSU - but that doesn't explain ATX12V_1

PSU is a Seasonic G550. It won't have any graphics cards, but will have 2x H200's, and 12 drives.

thanks!

psu.png

Edited by extrobe

Nice motherboard!  I got the non-IPMI version for a recent build that I haven't quite gotten around to yet.

In my previous experiences, though, I have learned to connect ALL motherboard power connectors no matter how many there are. I've had it happen before where I failed (or thought I wouldn't need that extra 12V feed) only to scratch my head a year later when a new add-on card wouldn't work, or some other silly problem I could have avoided.

Each 12V wire and each circuit trace on the motherboard are designed to carry only so much current.  If there are extra power connectors, it's probably because in some situations the extra current will need to be available to certain slots on the board.  Plug in whichever connectors fit. They're keyed so you can't mess them up, no matter how they're labelled.

Just now, extrobe said:

Thanks - I thought it might be related to PCIe cards - though the pin configuration doesn't seem to line up. Either way, don't think I'll need that one.

Apparently you can't use the six pin connector that is meant for directly connecting to the graphics cards, it's different. There are supposedly adapters available though.

4 minutes ago, bman said:

Nice motherboard!  I got the non-IPMI version for a recent build that I haven't quite gotten around to yet.

In my previous experiences, though, I have learned to connect ALL motherboard power connectors no matter how many there are. I've had it happen before where I failed (or thought I wouldn't need that extra 12V feed) only to scratch my head a year later when a new add-on card wouldn't work, or some other silly problem I could have avoided.

Each 12V wire and each circuit trace on the motherboard are designed to carry only so much current.  If there are extra power connectors, it's probably because in some situations the extra current will need to be available to certain slots on the board.  Plug in whichever connectors fit. They're keyed so you can't mess them up, no matter how they're labelled.

Thanks - I only have 1 8-pin cable on the PSU. Now a little concerned that I need a different PSU, with some suggestions I've found (nothing all that concrete mind you) stating that some mobo/cpu combinations need the extra 12v. I'm using a Xeon E5-2603 v3 - so nothing all that demanding.

3 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Apparently you can't use the six pin connector that is meant for directly connecting to the graphics cards, it's different. There are supposedly adapters available though.

because using the same cable would be too easy ;) 

I'm handy with a soldering iron so I'd just add another 8-port connector from old PSU bits I have lying around if it was needed - but that's just me, and also assuming there were no power requirements that would blow up my power supply by performing such a mod :)

Managed to this this on Asus's website, and seems to be the only official word I could find on the matter - but suggests the 2nd is only for very heavy usage scenarios, and 1 should be fine.

I'll go with the PSU as-is i reckon - thanks for the help getting to the bottom of it!

• 5 years later...