SSD reporting very high temps - should it go back?

I've added a 128gb ssd as a cache drive. I'll admit to scrimping and going for a bit of a cheapo option (DREVO Zeus SSD) as the sandisk one I was going to use was not available for a few days, and was keen to get my dockers onto an ssd! (*same-day amazon prime has made me very impatient)

However unRaid keeps reporting the temperature at 50c+. Even when there's little activity on the server it says 40-45

I've felt it, and feels cool (even cold) - there are no fans on it directly, but the main HDDs are all 28-32, and it's a huge case, so nothing near it giving off heat either.

Is this likely to be a fault with the ssd?

Depending on the controller, that can be pretty normal.  For example, I have an Intel 5400s which is a cheap TLC drive with a SiliconMotion controller, and it gets super-hot, even the casing gets warm.  I've seen it hit 70C.

SSD controllers now have several ARM processors in them, so they do have a fair bit of processing power, which gives off a fair bit of heat.

10 minutes ago, HellDiverUK said:

SSD controllers now have several ARM processors in them, so they do have a fair bit of processing power, which gives off a fair bit of heat.

Thanks - I guess I've just never paid that much attention to the temps of SSD's - and had assumed they'd run much cooler (and it certainly felt cool).

Once I fiddle around with the case in a few days' time, I'll mount it somewhere where it gets a bit of airflow, see if that helps.

I'll also be adding another ssd (kingston fury) from my decommissioned system in the next few days, which has been crammed in the HP Microserver for the last year or so, so it'll be interesting to see how the temps compare - but at least I'll know the kingston one is very hardy, so I'll worry a little less about the Drevo

Edited by extrobe

Most SSDs up until the last year or so haven't actually reported accurate temps.  For example, a Crucial M4 will always report 30C, no matter if it's -10C or 70C.  Old OCZ Vector SSDs used to always report -127C.  Also, the temp sensor might be internal to the controller, or it might be a case temp sensor.  Some Intel enterprise SSDs report their case temp, rather than the temp of the controller.

Interestingly, Samsung NVMe drives report both controller temp (HOT!) and airflow temp, which I assume is taken from a sensor at the opposite end of the M.2 stick to the controller.