Time Machine backup/restore to/from NAS for Leopard & Snow Leopard

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

starcat, do you happen to know why using a user share won't work?  The QNAP example you provided refers to creating (what seems like a) user share called TimeMachine... A limitation for unRAID specifically? 

Thanks!  I'm about to perform my first TM backup to unRAID.  Pretty excited about it  :)

I just started this two days ago. Rather than performing the initial backup over the network to unRAID, I built the sparsebundle, transferred it to an external USB drive and pointed Time Machine to the external drive. After the first backup completed, I moved the USB drive to my unRAID server and copied the sparebundle to one of the discs (/mnt/disk2 in my case). Once the copy was complete, I pointed Time Machine to the drive share (again, disk2 for me), and the next scheduled backup went off without a hitch!

One thing I have noticed is that Time Machine reports the full size of my drive, and not the size limit I imposed when I built the sparsebundle. I set it to 250GB, so it will be a while before I can determine the actual behavior.

• 1 month later...

I originally set mine up to go a folder on /mnt/disk2, but I noticed when I do go to the Shares tab, it is showing up in there. My TM backups are working and I can enter Time Machine and restore files, etc with no issues at all.

When I originally set it up this way I thought I was setting it up as a disk share, but I'm assuming I was wrong. I'm not sure if I'll run into problems late or if I should just leave it alone.

Time Machine is currently not working for me. It ran fine for a few weeks, but recently Time Machine threw an error & wanted to create a new backup (from scratch). I'm not sure why this has happened. At this point I think I need to start over, create a new sparsebundle, copy, etc.

The sparsebundle folder does show up as a User share in the Shares page for me as well. I believe this is the way unRAID works. Any folder on a protected disc will become a share. What I'm not sure of is whether or not mounting Disk 2 and pointing Time Machine to it is the correct way to go here.

What I'm not sure of is whether or not mounting Disk 2 and pointing Time Machine to it is the correct way to go here.

Yes, you have to point to a disk share and have the sparsebundle located in the top most directory of it. Negative effect is that unRAID now will make automatically an User Share out of it (this I think was not the case some time ago).

One thing I have noticed is that Time Machine reports the full size of my drive, and not the size limit I imposed when I built the sparsebundle. I set it to 250GB, so it will be a while before I can determine the actual behavior.

TM will always grow the size of the sparsebundle to the size of the disk.

Time Machine is currently not working for me. It ran fine for a few weeks, but recently Time Machine threw an error & wanted to create a new backup (from scratch). I'm not sure why this has happened. At this point I think I need to start over, create a new sparsebundle, copy, etc.

This happened to several time when using a user share. I'm waiting for a stable version 5 to try again with AFP.