Server upgrade

Msan

I need to upgrade my current server and just want to make sure I buy the right stuff ;)

Eventually this will all go into Norco 4220 case and will have 20 drives, but for now it will only have 10 drives...

I am currently thinking of buying the following new parts: (All prices in CDN)

Motherboard: Intel S3210SHLC $240

SATA Card: Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 $102

Power Supply: Corsair HX650W 650W $120

Breakout Cables: 3Ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M $12

I'll be reusing my Intel Core 2 Duo E2160, 2 sticks of 1GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz (Gold GX Edition)

Anyone see anything wrong with this or offer some improvements on the listed parts (without spending more)? And feedback is appreciated!

It has only been 2 hours since you posted this, give us some time.

My initial thought is that everything looks good.  That's a bit more than I would choose to spend on a motherboard, but I can understand the decision if you plan on going up to 20 drives.

The only part I'm unsure of is whether the breakout cables are the correct ones.  I believe it is correct, but I still haven't fully wrapped my mind around the forward/reverse thing, so I'm not 100% sure.  See this thread.

Edit: Oh, wait, 14 hours.  I missed the AM/PM distinction there....

Yes, 14 hours :)

I did research the forward/reverse cable thing for a while and I am pretty sure it's the correct type.. just hope the quality is good.

I've been looking at motherboards for the last week and my head is still spinning.. And it seemed that all the ones I wanted or where recommended are not available :( I was originally going to reuse my Gigabyte motherboard, but the HDA feature really sucks.. I had an older version of the BIOS on that MB, but when I tried to flash it to the latest version that is not supposed to have the save the BIOS to HD "feature" it crapped out and now only boots to a ...looking for BIOS on HDD.. screen.

And the Intel board also has IPMI, so that's a plus as well..

Motherboard is an unusual choice. Nothing wrong with that though, chipset is same as the supermicro so should work no problem. XS7BE is better equipped imo, with a couple of PCI-X buses rather than the Intels PCI slots. SM has effectively four high speed buses.  Not sure about price/availability.

Assuming you are going to sata drives from the SM mv8 the cables are right (4 drives per cable). Make sure they are long enough for you case. If you only plan on 10 drives in this system you only need 1 cable (6 onboard + 4 ports on the SM).

Cable wont work in the Norco so no point buying two.

yes I was looking at the Supermicro one as well, but I can't find it anywhere here in Canada.. with 2 MV8's and the onboard SATA ports I can go up to 22 drives and still have a PCI-E and the PCI slots free, so that should handle my needs for a while (I hope)

Well I ordered the following today:

Motherboard: Intel S3210SHLC $240

SATA Card: Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 $102

Breakout Cables: 3Ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M $12

And of course none of this was in stock and they have to order it in.. :(  If I'm very lucky, I might see it by friday..

• 2 weeks later...

Final change to my build, as stuff wasnt in stock.. (which probably was a good thing:)

Case: Norco RPC-4220

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X7SBE

SATA Controller: AOC-SAT2-MV8

PSU: PC Power & Cooling 610W

I'll add another AOC-SAT2-MV8 when the time comes..

You probably are awarebof this, but just to be sure, before you start pulling your old server apart, be sure you take a screen shot and a physical print out of the disks on the main page of the web GUI to reassign them back into the right location according to the serial numbers to disk number originally which they were assigned when it is time to fire up your server with the newer board.

You probably are awarebof this, but just to be sure, before you start pulling your old server apart, be sure you take a screen shot and a physical print out of the disks on the main page of the web GUI to reassign them back into the right location according to the serial numbers to disk number originally which they were assigned when it is time to fire up your server with the newer board.

Yes I'll be sure to do that.. I'll be replacing the parity drive and adding another 4 or 5 disks as well..

Archived