Ryzen Issues on 2-Gamers-1-PC

Hi all,

I've been working on an Intel-based Unraid system powered by an i7(split in half between the windows VMs) and an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon.  Recently I decided to switch to Ryzen, because I can't keep my hands off fun new toys, and went the way of the 1700x and MSI x370 Gaming Pro.  MSI has been good to me so I stuck with them.  Still, no matter what I try I can't get gaming performance anywhere near what I had on Intel.  I'm hoping some enthusiasts can help me demonstrate the full power of this battle station (Rogue 1's finally on Netflix):

Current Specs:

2 x GTX1080s

32GB of ram @ 2666 (since Ryzen apparently voids warranties over that, 14GB per VM)

1700x (Tried 2 or 3 physical cores each, with hyperthreads)

MSI x370 Gaming Pro (BIOS built 6/22, latest as of this post)

3 gaming monitors tried, 4k60hz, 1440p144hz, and the classic 1080p60hz

I ran a windows baremetal OS to verify functionality of the hardware.  I've used Ryzen Master Utility to disable cores to match Unraid as closely as possible, dropping the system down to 4 and 2 cores.  Everything is still flawless and I love it.  However, in Unraid's VMs, games can vary in fps between 140-15fps in a matter of seconds.  Witcher 3 and Doom are outright unplayable, @ 15fps each.  I've noticed some amount of video-audio de-sync as well, despite isolating cpus from Unraid as recommended and enabling msi, but that's a minor issue compared to gaming.

In terms of fixes, I've tried almost everything outlined in these posts: 

Page 14 is where they recommend NPT=0.

As per other users, I ran into severe issues with NPT off, mainly performance degradation and crashing, despite swapping to Q35.  I wasn't entirely sure how to disable CPU pinning, so I've been trying to figure that out, but I'm not sure how 2 VMs would even survive if I had the system configured in such a way.  

TLDR:  My build works fine on baremetal, even with only 2 cores.  I've scoured the forums and the 23-page-long Unraid living document above, and tried most all solutions but disabling CPU pinning.  I'm hoping I've missed something, and that a kind soul will show me the light.  

If you have any recommendations, please don't hesitate to present them.  I'll be trying to keep this post updated with tested configs and results.

Weird issue.  Tried Q35, couldn't get the OS running.  It kept trying to run the install disc.  Stripped out the install disc and the OS still isn't coming up.  The other windows VM (for the second gamer) had to run a disk check but it came out fine in the end.  I haven't fiddled with it.  As for the first VM, it doesn't show the OS on i440fx either.  It's like the data on the img was blown away.  

Attempting to boot the questionable img from the second PC resulted in it failing again.  It looks like the img is empty.  I may have left the VM on overnight, and it might have crashed, but this is something I've never seen from Unraid before.  Either the stability issues over time or the crashing and burning an img

• 10 months later...
On 8/2/2017 at 7:25 PM, thenonsense said:

Reinstalled windows VMs would not boot after creation.  It seems my VMs are being configured at some point where they can no longer be readable.  This is occurring on stable 6.3.5

Any update on this?

Is Ryzen 1700X with 2 Gaming VM‘s stable with Unraid 6.5.2 ?

Thanks in advance!