Parity Drive Red X

8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Lots of CRC errors, likely a bad SATA cable/backplane

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       16992

Thanks for the heads up. I put the drive in a different slot in the backplane. Still had a red X, so I simply disabled the drive (unassigned as parity). I still have a Parity2 so I know I am still safe :-)

I am going to rebuild the partiy on the disk overnight. If any problems I will buy a new controller. From my new build thread:

On 8/17/2017 at 9:46 PM, CrimsonTyphoon said:
  • Backplanes are interesting. Definitely easier to work with than individual cables. I need to some more research, but I wonder how to I hook up more hard drives that the LSI-9266 doesn't handle?
  • The LSI 9266-8i. This was interesting to say the least.....
    • Short version: It works.
    • TL;DR
      • It is based on the SAS2208 chipset. Some people say it won't work with unRAID. Some say it will. Some say it will but you will have problems. Played with the bios and the CLI, but it would not do JBOD. Determined, I scoured the forums and google. In the end, I updated to the latest firmware, than ran a simple command from the CLI to make it work in JBOD (note, after the command I can't access the card's bios, but who cares?). I got the info right from the manufactures website, as it is a supported feature. However, after running a non-correcting parity check, I did get 5 errors when before I did not. Need to explore more.

So If i have more problems overnight, time for a new controller.