Stuck in windows repair loop.

I was thinking if you ran the Windows repair with VNC access, that it would not attempt a Windows repair the next time. Apparently that didn't work.

I don't have any specific suggestion, but do recommend that users confine their VMs disk1.img files to Windows and Apps, with no data stored inside. Instead use mapped array disks or mapped unassigned devices for your data.

Backup the VM's disk1.img file from time to time. Then, if something nasty happens with the VM, you can restore a functioning backup and have lost almost nothing. One of the nice things about a VM is the backup is very fast. You are copying a single large file.

Good luck unraveling the mystery.

2 minutes ago, bjp999 said:

I was thinking if you ran the Windows repair with VNC access, that it would not attempt a Windows repair the next time. Apparently that didn't work.

I don't have any specific suggestion, but do recommend that users confine their VMs disk1.img files to Windows and Apps, with no data stored inside. Instead use mapped array disks or mapped unassigned devices for your data.

Backup the VM's disk1.img file from time to time. Then, if something nasty happens with the VM, you can restore a functioning backup and have lost almost nothing. One of the nice things about a VM is the backup is very fast. You are copying a single large file.

Good luck unraveling the mystery.

thanks for the suggestions. We don't have critical data stored on it yet. this is more of a trying it out stage. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2017 at 7:47 PM, citizend13 said:

yeah. works fine with VNC access. do I need to remove drivers or something. Not really sure what caused windows repair to show up in the first place. 

Your first post mentioned sudden power outage, assuming your computer went down, Windows would have called that an unclean shutdown and at the very least would have ran chkdsk /f /x %BOOTDRIVE%   Now if Windows 10 is interrupted trying to boot normally (ie the twirlly circle) this can cause Windows to trip into that Automatic repair. Could also happen if it hiccups on chkdsk and has to redefine the disk volume for boot manager  -- I some times run into this issue with HD clones where I've resized the partition, and on first boot of clone tell it to run check disk. I could see it being a similar issue as an image file with your host possibly running a repair on file system in background? Few bits shift around.

Just a hypothesis though.