(SOLVED) Drive Red Ball - Need Advice

Kewjoe

My Disk 2 redballed today. I've tried switching SATA and Power cables, different motherboard ports, etc. to no avail. Looks like drive is dead. My Disk 5 is currently completely empty. I can use it to replace the Disk 2. What is the best way forward? Start the array in emulated mode and copy over the files to Disk 5? I assume I can't both remove Disk 5 from the array and also use it to replace Disk 2 without losing data. Not sure what the best option is.  Diagnostics attached just in case I missed something.

ganymede-diagnostics-20170921-1321.zip

Edited by Kewjoe

Are you sure the drive is dead?    If is being seen by the motherboard it is probably OK as none of the SMART reports in the diagnostic indicated a disk having problems.   None of the actions you mentioned would have cleared a red-balled state - the only way to do that is to rebuild the disk (either to itself or to another drive).

• Like 1

The diags were taken with the drive connected. I haven't done anything besides try different cables/ports. When the server boots it gets stuck here:

Sep 21 13:19:41 Ganymede kernel: ata10: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Sep 21 13:19:41 Ganymede kernel: ata10: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)

over and over until it gives up. Each new cable or port I tried would produce the same errors but for a different ata number. That's what was showing me that the drive is likely dead. But I'm open for suggestions.

Just now, johnnie.black said:

Then the disk is dead, best way forward would be to use a spare to rebuild, but you can also copy everything from the emulated disk to another disk, then you'll still need to rebuild that disk or do a new config to remove it.

Ok, my only current spare is already part of the array (not ideal i know). So best course of action is, start the array in emulated mode, copy all files to the empty disk 5. Once validated that the files are there, i do a new config with disk 2 gone and my array shrunk down to the 4 drives. That sound right?