Error in log- "program smartctl is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO"

wgstarks

I would suggest pulling the card first. No errors, card related. Still getting errors, something else.

At least that way you'd know if it was related to the new card. You wouldn't know if it's an issue with the particular card you bought or the entire model, but it would be a start.

Well, looks like it was the card. After taking a closer look at the logs I saw that every time I got the smartctl warning it was preceded by a USB device reset.

Sep 24 07:50:21 Brunnhilde kernel: usb 6-4.2: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
Sep 24 07:50:21 Brunnhilde kernel: program smartctl is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO
Sep 24 07:50:21 Brunnhilde kernel: program smartctl is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO

After removing the card and connecting the external device to a spare internal USB 3.0 port the error is gone.

Looked up the device reset and it seems to be a common problem with USB 3.0 losing connectivity. Most of what I read was over my head but I'm wondering if getting a 3.1 card might be a solution? I see Newegg has this StarTech card fairly cheap. Any recommendations?

Archived