[SOLVED] [v6.3.5] Parity/storage questions

soulman1949

At this stage my system consists of 7 data drives and one parity drive, total storage space for the array is 40TB, of which 20.7TB is currently used. Very shortly I'll be adding a further 3 hard drives bringing the total array space to 49TB.

1. I've noticed that a parity-check happens automatically every week on Saturday evenings and the current array takes just over 22 hours to complete the parity-check. I know I can do a parity-check manually but can I change the timing of the automatic check? Also is it possible to pause and unpause the check?

2. What activities are suspended during a parity-check? If I add new data to the array during a parity check will this data be parity protected?

3. Are there any recommendations as to the percentage free storage space on each drive?

4. Given my current system setup at what stage is it recommended to have two parity drives?

Thanks

Alan

6 minutes ago, soulman1949 said:

1. I've noticed that a parity-check happens automatically every week on Saturday evenings and the current array takes just over 22 hours to complete the parity-check. I know I can do a parity-check manually but can I change the timing of the automatic check? Also is it possible to pause and unpause the check?

'Tools'     >>>    'Scheduler'

6 minutes ago, soulman1949 said:

2. What activities are suspended during a parity-check? If I add new data to the array during a parity check will this data be parity protected?

None.  Yes, Parity is updated automatically for all types of disk operations that involve the array. 

8 minutes ago, soulman1949 said:

3. Are there any recommendations as to the percentage free storage space on each drive?

Your should leave some space on each drive.   Probably 5% is enough on drives where you update and change file contents on a regular basis for file systems other than reiserfs.  Reiserfs needs a lot more free space or it really slows down.  (Reiserfs is essentially a dead file system since 2009 when the chief designer and maintainer of it was convicted of murdering his wife and is currently serving a life sentence.)

14 minutes ago, soulman1949 said:

4. Given my current system setup at what stage is it recommended to have two parity drives?

Have a look at this thread:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/50504-dual-or-single-parity-its-your-choice/

Archived