Permission problem with SMB usershares

Dr_Cox1911

This sounds like a permissions problem.  Since you are running a Linux distribution, I would assume that you have a working knowledge of the command line.  I would like you to look at the following thread and and then have a look at the permissions and owner and group names for the files and directories in the array.

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/61276-since-upgrade-to-6-certain-folder-asking-for-user-name-and-password/?tab=comments#comment-601695

While some of the information may be a bit basic, it will be a starting point.  It has been a long time (~2008) since I have used a Linux distribution and I am definitely rusty. 

I notice that you said you have been trying "all the security levels" and there are a couple of gotchas connected with users/passwords and SMB.  There is another piece of information that might be relevant to your situation contained in series of posts that follow this first one:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

Thanks for the info @Frank1940

I'm familiar with the console and already looked at the permissions.

The group permissions weren't set properly. I used the Krusader Docker to copy my data to the shares. I now used chmod to change the permissions, was this the right move to do? Before that I used the Fix Common Problems Plugin (I started the extended test), but it didn't report any permission problems.

If you have installed the "Fix Common Problem" plugin, you should have the "Docker Safe New Permissions" script installed  (   Tools    >>>   Docker Safe New Permission  ).  That script should correct all permission errors.  You can use the chmod command but the script is much simpler.  

I use the Krusader Docker but I have never used it to copy files to the array.  I am assuming that it is simply copying the permissions that are on the original file so, perhaps you should check to seeing what permissions are there.  Most of the time, I use SMB to copy by using my Windows machine to make the copy to the array.  That way the permissions always turn out correctly (because of the definitions for file creation in smb.conf).  (When you use Krusader, you are actually using a Linux file manager as root and with root permissions.) 

You might be wondering what I use Krusader for.  I have my smb shares set as 'Secure' and I have not assigned any users to them.  I use the cache drive to actually copy files to the array and then mover will move them to the array.  This secures the files from any attempt to modify files (think malware encryption) through smb and user stupidity.  But Krusader can do any necessary file work since it is running as root.  

Archived