External 8TB for my array?

Looking at Black Friday deals coming up, there's a pretty screaming deal on WD 8TB external drives, and it just so happens my array is nearly full... I have a hodgepodge of WD and Seagate drives ranging from 2-4TB currently in the array (so I realize the 8TB would become parity). None of the current drives are 7200 RPM.

My question is this - would you crack open that external enclosure and put the drive in your array? I've heard they're considerably slower than most internal drives. I also usually try to buy from BackBlaze's list of more reliable drives to stack the odds in my favor. So far, no catastrophic failures - just drive retirement.

Thoughts, opinions, unfounded rants - all welcome. Thanks :)

Edited by Crlaozwyn
Clarified drive brands currently in array

I think you are confusing the Seagate archive drives which are in their some of their external drives with the WD. The WD usually have RED NAS drives in them and while i think they are 5900 RPM they are not as 'slow' as the Seagate archive drives. I would most definitely shuck it and make it your parity drive, heck buy a few of them.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ashman70 said:

I think you are confusing the Seagate archive drives which are in their some of their external drives with the WD. The WD usually have RED NAS drives in them and while i think they are 5900 RPM they are not as 'slow' as the Seagate archive drives. I would most definitely shuck it and make it your parity drive, heck buy a few of them.

Thanks ashman! Yeah, I don't remember the slowness being attributed to a specific brand, but if it's a RED inside that'll work fine for me. I'll snag a couple if they don't sell out in the first few seconds :)

• 4 weeks later...