kamuska

Upgrade from 6.3.5 to 6.4.0_rc15e caused SSD to be unmountable: unsupported partition layout.

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

I upgraded from 6.3.5 to 6.4.0_rc15e. Everything seems to be working fine, except for the Docker containers which are not even showing because my SSD is not mountable according to the webGUI.
Error: Unmountable: unsupported partition layout. Please refer to the screenshots. Any help would be appreciated.

https://i.imgur.com/ECZ3D0v.png
https://i.imgur.com/TpfX9Z5.png

Edited by kamuska

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Post the output of:

sfdisk -l /dev/sdb

Here's the output:
Disk /dev/sdb: 232.9 GiB, 250059350016 bytes, 488397168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x3d42171d

Device     Boot Start       End          Sectors         Size Id        Type
/dev/sdb1        2048 488397167  488395120  232.9G 83  Linux

Your cache partition starts on sector 2048, it was probably created with an older version of the UD plugin, unRAID v6.4 requires that the cache parition starts on sector 64, like the array devices, before v6.4 only array devices were required to start on sector 64.

If you have important data on your cache downgrade to v6.3.5, use the first steps of the replace cache procedure to backup your cache data to the array, upgrade to v6.4 again, reformat your cache and follow the last steps of the replace cache procedure to restore the data to the cache device.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Your cache partition starts on sector 2048, it was probably created with an older version of the UD plugin, unRAID v6.4 requires that the cache parition starts on sector 64, like the array devices, before v6.4 only array devices were required to start on sector 64.

If you have important data on your cache downgrade to v6.3.5, use the first steps of the replace cache procedure to backup your cache data to the array, upgrade to v6.4 again, reformat your cache and follow the last steps of the replace cache procedure to restore the data to the cache device.

I did what you suggested, except for the backup part. I just reinstalled my Docker containers from the templates. Now my cache partition starts at sector 64. Everything seems to be fine now. Thank you for the help!

On 12/6/2017 at 5:50 PM, johnnie.black said:

perfect thanks so much!

might need to edit your posts since the two links seem to be missing "forums"

downgrade to v6.3.5

replace cache procedure

Edited by morreale

I just had exactly the same problem with UNRAID 6.4 release version.

I stopped the array, moved the SSD cache out of it, brought the array back up (without the cache then), mounted the SSD cache using Unassigned devices, copied everything in a separate directory (using mc in a shell), stopped the array again and moved the SSD back as cache. Formatted, copied the data again and restarted.

No downgrade was necessary. It was painful, but it worked without downgrade.

I have a hard time imagining nobody saw that one coming, particularly when that was reported on RC versions!

On 1/17/2018 at 7:58 AM, denishay said:

I stopped the array, moved the SSD cache out of it, brought the array back up (without the cache then), mounted the SSD cache using Unassigned devices, copied everything in a separate directory (using mc in a shell), stopped the array again and moved the SSD back as cache. Formatted, copied the data again and restarted.

I have a hard time imagining nobody saw that one coming, particularly when that was reported on RC versions!

I had the same problem.   Follow your instruction and it work.   Sir, you have saved my day,  You're the BEST!  cheer!

On 1/17/2018 at 8:58 AM, denishay said:

Thank you!!!

On 12/6/2017 at 9:58 PM, johnnie.black said:

Post the output of:

sfdisk -l /dev/sdb

I just got similar on 6.5.3 with a data disk. It contains data (a LOT!) and was working fine before I changed config (to remove 3 empty smaller drives). No change in version.

@johnnie.black  Any ideas (preferably that DON'T involve copying 10 TB of data to other drives as I am not sure I have that much free), reformatting and copying back ??

EDIT: Even if I could find 10TB free, how can I mount the partition?

Hope you can help! My output is below:

sfdisk -l /dev/sdk
Disk /dev/sdk: 9.1 TiB, 10000831348736 bytes, 19532873728 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: D92897E9-57D5-48A2-8141-F16FCE958096

Device     Start         End     Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdk1   2048 19532871679 19532869632  9.1T Microsoft basic data

Edited by methanoid

8 minutes ago, methanoid said:

Device     Start         End     Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdk1   2048 19532871679 19532869632  9.1T Microsoft basic data

No way this is an unRAID data disk.

It came from NTFS Windows machine.. I guess I just reformatted it rather than destroy and recreate/format partition... It was however reading and working fine in unRAID up to 15 mins ago....

1 minute ago, methanoid said:

I guess I just reformatted it rather than destroy and recreate/format partition...

unRAID would recreate the partition starting on sector 64, and it would be a linux partition, like this:

Disk /dev/sdc: 5.5 TiB, 6001175126016 bytes, 11721045168 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 69B3BEAC-2348-4EEC-9E0C-CDEE9ED57CBA

Device     Start         End     Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdc1     64 11721045134 11721045071  5.5T Linux filesystem

That disk could only work as an unassigned device.

Bizarre but it WAS in the array before... really, I know you will think I imagined it but it was.. zero Unassigned Devices... but doesn't matter... UD is mounting it now and I do have enough spare space as its "only" got 6Tb of data on ;-)  So I am moving off and will fully wipe etc... Will check other drives to make sure I have no other "rogues"

Thanks for the help (as always!)