UPS Questions

Griff1324

I apologize if this question does not belong her but I was not sure where to ask.  I currently have a dedicated unRAID Server which is connected to a CyberPower UPS.  The unRAID server is connected to the UPS via USB and the server powers down when there is a power outage as intended.  

Also connected to the UPS is a Dell server running VMWare ESXi 5.5.  Inside the host is five or six VMs running Windows 2012 Server.  I would like the VMs and the ESXi host to power down in the event of a power outage as well.  What is the best way to accomplish this, if at all possible?  

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Chris

As for the VM's, you can easily install apcupsd clients on them, and point them at tower:3551 or whatever your unraid's name is. I don't know whether there is a apcupsd client available for ESXi or not.

Just make sure that you time the shutdowns in such a way that all the VM's complete their shutdown before unraid starts its shutdown routine, also make sure that the entire network path is powered during an outage as well, otherwise the apcupsd clients won't get the message to shutdown.

With that much draw and that many clients to successfully shutdown, I think I'd start the VM's shutdown at 3 minutes of power outage, and cascade from there. I doubt you have enough battery reserve to complete clean shutdowns with enough battery left if you wait much longer than that.

Jonathanm,

I started to play around with some things shortly after I posted my questions.  I'm not sure if this will get me where I want to be but here is what I have done so far.  

I installed a new VM running centOS and the PowerPanel Business Edition for Virtual Machines Agent.  I connected the UPS to my VM host and was able to successfully configure PowerPanel to properly shutdown all of the VMs, as well as the ESXi host itself.  

I am now researching how to tell the unRAID server to stop the array and shutdown as well.  Any ideas?

• 3 months later...

This is a bit of a different question so forgive me, but I was wondering if in your research you found a way to transmit PowerPanel Business Edition info to unRAID? I am running Grafana on unRAID and would love to have access to the information that program provides. I've considered trying to run it in a VM on unRAID, but I'm not sure what to transfer the information to InfluxDB from the VM. Any thoughts?

Archived