How long will it take me to build an unRAID server?

riccume

Reason for the broad question is that I'm planning to add a storage server to my HTPC and, while I'm tempted by the cool and flexible unRAID technology and the fun of building it, I could simply buy an Aspire easyStore H340 with 2TB of storage and 4 hot-swappable bays for £350, and be up and running in less than one hour. I would be great to have your thoughts before I dig further in the details.

I'm looking for a minitower case, 4-5 3.5" bays (I'll start with 2-4TB of total storage). I don't think I need hot-swappable. I'll use this server mostly to save my DVD collection.

Thanks!

A general question requires a general answer - I will take you about as long as it takes you to build a normal desktop computer.

This depends greatly on your experience with building computers.  I have lots of experience with it (hence, I've had lots of practice), and I can easily go from parts to a working unRAID server in less than an hour (assuming I don't run into any problems).  However, my first build probably took me 2 or more hours and quite a bit of hand-holding from a friend.  So, it really all depends on your skill level, I can't answer that for you.

The unRAID OS takes far less time to set up and install than does, say, Windows or MacOS.  However, it is more complex than either of those since it involves use of the scary command line!

If you really are worried about building the server yourself, you can buy a pre-built server from LimeTech (though I believe they have been out of stock on certain models for some time now).  However, don't be afraid to jump into building your own server.  It is easier than you think (even if you have never built a desktop before), and this forum is here to help you through it.  Plus you'll learn a thing or two and be better equipped to maintain and repair your server (and other computers) should you ever need to.

Also, no one 'needs' hot-swap bays, since unRAID doesn't support them anyway (you have to shut down your server to swap out drives, so unRAID only supports 'cold-swap').  Hot-swap bays are a matter of convenience - no screws, and no need to open the case to replace/add/upgrade a drive.  I built my first server with internally mounted drives because I wanted to save money.  Now that I have upgraded to hot swap bays, I'll never go back.  I would recommend just getting them now, you'll thank yourself later.

The unRAID OS takes far less time to set up and install than does, say, Windows or MacOS.  However, it is more complex than either of those since it involves use of the scary command line!

I don't recall needing to use command line for initial set-up. I just plugged in the USB flash drive, turned on the PC and set the BIOS to boot from the flash drive. The web administration page worked just fine after waiting for a couple of minutes after boot. No command-line fu required. However, I did modify the config with Notepad to set it to a static IP.

The unRAID OS takes far less time to set up and install than does, say, Windows or MacOS.  However, it is more complex than either of those since it involves use of the scary command line!

I don't recall needing to use command line for initial set-up. I just plugged in the USB flash drive, turned on the PC and set the BIOS to boot from the flash drive. The web administration page worked just fine after waiting for a couple of minutes after boot. No command-line fu required. However, I did modify the config with Notepad to set it to a static IP.

You need to use "syslinux" on the window's command line if you are loading unRAID onto your own flash drive.  syslinux makes the flash drive bootable.

Took me an afternoon to put mine together once I got the parts. Then a few days of testing and playing around so I got a feel of everything. You really don't need command line unless you want to play around with add-ons/tweaks after the initial setup of getting the OS onto a USB stick. unRaid was designed to be managed via webgui.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your sharing your experience with me.

Building the hardware shouldn't be a problem; I've spent a couple of years in labs playing with prototypes at the beginning of my career so that should come handy. I'm more concerned about the software. Is unRAID something that I can easily get up and running, and tweak and improve later on if/when I feel like? Or will it take time and effort just to get it to a minimum level of usability? I'm asking because I notice that Rajahal says "it is more complex than either of [Windows or MacOS]" and gabbot mentions "a few days of testing and playing around so I got a feel of everything".

Finally, any recommendations for a small and reasonable 4-5 HDD case? Would Mini Tower + microATX be a good combination? It'll have to sit in a corner of the living room so the smaller the better (within reasonable price).

I'm more concerned about the software. Is unRAID something that I can easily get up and running, and tweak and improve later on if/when I feel like?
it's a ~50 mb operating system, so it's a breeze to setup.  put it on a flash drive, boot, and access the web page interface from another machine.  i wouldn't say there is much more to it setup wise than a standard NAS box.  preclearing the disks will take the most time of anything.  building it will definitely take more time than a ready made box, but the expandability is huge.  i think i had maybe 5 minutes of time involved in setting it up once i had it built.  but i read about unraid for hours before hand.  I highly recommend it.

Very good, I'm sold! Thanks a lot!

The last hurdle for me is to find a case similar to the Acer easyStore H340: decent looking small case (7.9" (200mm) W x 7.1" (180mm) D x 8.3" (212mm) H) which can host 4-5 HDDs, possibly with hot-swap bays. Since this is a strictly hardware-related question I started a new post in that section.

Archived