Allocation method change has no effect

thisaone

Hello,

I am still in the trial period and am really liking how most things about Unraid are working.

The hardware is a Supermicro X8DAH+-F motherboard, 2x X5675 CPU, 64GB ram.

I currently have 3 4TB drives in the array with no parity. I will add parity after testing and after moving over all my data.

I have 2 500GB SSD's in a cache pool.

I had been reconfiguring things, and in general trying to "break" it to see how easily I can recover from any problems.

I updated to 6.4.0_rc18f  for a newer kernel than 6.3.5 has to hopefully support the Sonnet Allegro Pro USB card. It does so far with only one VM using one controller from it and only a keyboard/mouse.

The problem I am experiencing is data allocation from shares. I have been reading up on this and I think I get it.

I have the array set to not use the cache.

For high water based on my reading

I guess that the math would be 4tb / 2 (2tb) / 2 (1TB) / 2 = 500 GB. If that is correct then it does make sense that the files are still being transferred to this disk.

However, when I change it to Most Free it still puts new data on the same disk. I read a post somewhere about the settings changes not working in Chrome so I shut down the array. Then started the array on Firefox and changed the setting in Firefox. It still copied a new file on to the same disk. I have attached my logs and a picture of the array devices for reference.

I have been reading the "Starting Over" in the wiki. I thought about doing it but I am not sure it will help since it seems if you keep the array all the settings will remain too.

I thought I would post here to see what the experts think and if you might be able to offer any advice.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you for reading.

smserver-diagnostics-20180110-1129.zip

array devices.jpg

That did it. Thank you!

I had read up on split levels too, but I think I need to do some more.

To clarify my folder structure looks like this:

Media

Movies

Evans Movies

Individual movie folders

I thought that:

Media would be level 1.

Movies would be level 2.

Evans Movies would be level 3.

Individual movie folders would be level 4.

Is that correct?

If so then based on the change I had to make there is no way of keeping certain folders together?

Archived