Issue with file attributes

A drive on my 1st unRAID box has started acting flakey, so I decided to replace it.  Of course, 300GB isn't always 300GB, so I couldn't just replace the drive.  Because the 1st unRAID is maxed out, I put the new drive into my 2nd unRAID. 

From unRAID #2, I did an smbmount to mount the flakey disk on  unRAID #1

smbmount //tower/disk6/ /var/tmp

And then copied the data:

cp -r /var/tmp/* /mnt/disk4/

A little under 24 hours later, the flakey drive is still up and all the data is copied; however, all the copied files are now hidden system files.  Is there any way to easily make them non-system, non-hidden (hopefully a recursive command line command)?  Actually, is there even a way to change this manually?  I'll try recopying if it's something that I messed up on my commands.

Try this:

chmod  -R  0700  /var/tmp/*

(The leading 0 in '0700' is important.)

What you're seeing is a result of how Samba implements the Windows 'Hidden' and 'System' file attributes.  It does this by overloading the 'group' and 'other' 'x' permission bits.  Those bits are getting set in your cp command and via Samba make the files appear to be hidden system files  ::)

Gory details can be read here:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch05_03.html